PDA

View Full Version : what is 3m,6m,9m, 12m sibor?

honeyjustgotfunny
28th January 2008, 02:47 PM
What is the difference between 3m, 6m, 9m, 12 mth? I know of one package that allows borrowers to choose?

How do you compare between 3m sibor to 6m sibor, versus 12m sibor?

anyone can solve the mystery?

cookies
29th January 2008, 11:09 AM
wow chim... i want to know too.... hahahah

jasper40
29th January 2008, 11:17 AM
correct if i am wrong. i think 3m sibor means the sibor rates is updated every 3 mths.... and 6m sibor means updated every 6 mths...

HalcyonVI
4th February 2008, 09:49 AM
3, 6, 9, 12 mths are basically periods where interest rate will remain the same during that time. The rate will be revised when the period is up. As to whether 3, 6, 9 or 12 mths is better, it depends on how rates move. If rates are on a downtrend throughout the year, you will want to take 3 months Sibor as every 3 months rates will be revised lower. However, if it is the reverse, it makes sense to go for 12 months Sibor.

cookies
5th February 2008, 09:37 AM
ok still very chim.... never mind. thanks anyway.

honeyjustgotfunny
5th February 2008, 10:29 AM
3, 6, 9, 12 mths are basically periods where interest rate will remain the same during that time. The rate will be revised when the period is up. As to whether 3, 6, 9 or 12 mths is better, it depends on how rates move. If rates are on a downtrend throughout the year, you will want to take 3 months Sibor as every 3 months rates will be revised lower. However, if it is the reverse, it makes sense to go for 12 months Sibor.

Thanks HalcyonVI for the explanation. Understand better now. But I realised most banks is pegged to 12 mths Sibor. Is there any packages that is pegged to 3 mths ? Cos I foresee the rates will go down, if I can refinance to a 3mths sibor, thought might save abit...

HalcyonVI
18th February 2008, 04:54 PM
Hullo Honey, there are indeed lenders that offer packages pegged to the 3 mths Sibor. Yeap you got the gist of it: if you feel that rates are going down for the next 12 months, it's better to go for packages pegged to the 3 mths rather than 12 months Sibor.

happylalapo
18th February 2008, 06:15 PM
Housing loans rate are pretty low now and it make sense to lock in the rates now if you are intending to keep the property for the next 2 to 3 years

cookies
19th February 2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks HalcyonVI for the explanation. Understand better now. But I realised most banks is pegged to 12 mths Sibor. Is there any packages that is pegged to 3 mths ? Cos I foresee the rates will go down, if I can refinance to a 3mths sibor, thought might save abit...

if you need information on housing loan, you can check out www.myhousingloan.com.sg. they offer convenience, better housing loan packages and professional advice at no cost to you!

i ever enquired with them, their consultants are friendly and very patient explaining the various terms and packages to me.

cookies :)

honeyjustgotfunny
21st February 2008, 03:08 PM
wah cookies!

you promoting for them? They give you commision huh? hahahaaa

still provide link somemore.....

but thanks lah. very helpful ...actually i also consulted them before ... :p

unbiased advice ...

kyk123
6th October 2008, 04:55 PM
Recently we just witnessed an inverted yield curve whereby 12m sibor is lower than 3m sibor. Because of this some people have opted to take up loans pegged to the 12m sibor. It remains to be seen whether the rates will remain high in the year ahead but predictions on the Fed Funds Rate are showing us that it is very likely to fall to 1.50% come the next FOMC meeting (Oct 28-29 2008). This should have some effect on dampening Sibor and SOR rates. For Sibor and SOR rates chart check out (links deleted)