View Full Version : Plasma TV vs LCD TV

doraemon1234
29th January 2008, 11:30 AM
plasma tv or LCD tv? what is the diff?

anyone got a plasma or LCD at home?

want to get one for CNY.....

McMuffin
12th February 2008, 09:36 PM
Plasma's contrast ratio and response time tends to be better. For similar inch TV, plasma also tends to be cheaper. However, this edge is rapidly diminishing. LCDs, on the other hand, has better resolution, no risk of plasma burns and the screen is non-reflective :D

cookies
13th February 2008, 09:05 AM
plasma tv or LCD tv? what is the diff?

anyone got a plasma or LCD at home?

want to get one for CNY.....

gong xi fa cai,

so have you got your plasma / lcd tv? what's good in the market now?

doraemon1234
27th February 2008, 12:19 PM
hey guys, thanks for all your advice. Finally .... I got a LCD tv from Samsung .

Was contemplating between Sony Bravia and Samsung LCD (LA46F81BDX). Both 46" LCD. Very similar specs except for Samsung got a higher contrast ratio, AND Sony have a bigger price tag! So in the end I got a Samsung.. although Sony always my favourite brand but every cents count !

:D

vincehu564
22nd December 2009, 12:05 PM
i personally feel that LCD tv is better.

LCD television ADVANTAGES over Plasma include:

1. No burn-in of static images.

2. Cooler running temperature.

3. No high altitude use issues.

4. Increased image brightness over Plasma.

5. Lighter weight (when comparing same screen sizes) than Plasma counterparts.

6. Longer display life used to be a factor, but now LCD and Plasma sets both have at least 60,000 hour or higher lifespans.

:D

hoclara
23rd December 2009, 12:31 PM
Plasma TVs are able to display a high resolution, and are capable of displaying HDTV signals. Many Plasma TVs are capable of producing 720p pictures, and some are able to display 1080i as well. Note that not all Plasma TVs are true HD-capable. Many are considered EDTV, or Enhanced Definition TVs, as they are able to display a higher resolution than conventional TVs, but not a true HD signal in it's native format.

Also, most Plasma TVs are able to receive VGA and SVGA signals from computers, as well as standard television and HDTV signals. This allows them to be used for multiple purposes, including many in a commercial or retail environment. Computer gamers have also been known to make use of Plasma TVs to provide them the advantage of a larger viewing area.

kwee34
23rd December 2009, 03:10 PM
Plasma TVs are able to display a high resolution, and are capable of displaying HDTV signals. Many Plasma TVs are capable of producing 720p pictures, and some are able to display 1080i as well. Note that not all Plasma TVs are true HD-capable. Many are considered EDTV, or Enhanced Definition TVs, as they are able to display a higher resolution than conventional TVs, but not a true HD signal in it's native format.

Also, most Plasma TVs are able to receive VGA and SVGA signals from computers, as well as standard television and HDTV signals. This allows them to be used for multiple purposes, including many in a commercial or retail environment. Computer gamers have also been known to make use of Plasma TVs to provide them the advantage of a larger viewing area.

I agree with you. A key advantage of the Plasma TV is it's thin, flat-panel design, often only inches thick. Plasma TVs are also very light, generally weighing 50-80 pounds. Compared to rear-projection TVs, which can be up to 30 inches deep and weigh up to 400 pounds. The Plasma TVs space-saving design allows it to be moved easily as well as placed in areas that no other type of TV would fit. They also make great design statements.

vincehu564
24th December 2009, 11:43 AM
still on the topic of televisions, is it possible to mount the tv onto the ceiling? then can lie down and watch. . .lol

kwee34
28th December 2009, 02:23 PM
still on the topic of televisions, is it possible to mount the tv onto the ceiling? then can lie down and watch. . .lol

sure can. hv u seen people mounting mirrors on the celing? and im not talking about small mirrors. they put big mirrors on the ceilings above the bed so that they have an alternate view of 'something'. haha. so im sure u can mount the tv up there. just got to make way for the wiring

vincehu564
7th January 2010, 04:25 PM
sure can. hv u seen people mounting mirrors on the celing? and im not talking about small mirrors. they put big mirrors on the ceilings above the bed so that they have an alternate view of 'something'. haha. so im sure u can mount the tv up there. just got to make way for the wiring

can i just approach an ordinary TV dealer to fix up my set or do i need to go to a specific contractor?