PDA

View Full Version : Aji by Hanabi Japanese Restaurant (VC)

yakinikuku
14th February 2008, 01:11 PM
Just want to share this food review with fellow happy family here

Went to Aji by Hanabi 2 weeks ago with 3 galfrens for buffet dinner. The damage is $42++ per pax but was pampered by the darn good thick succulent (donno can use this word to describe) SALMON sashimi. Its fresh, sweet and cut in big thick slices. If there is anything to complain, its definitely because its too big and I cant squeeze into my mouth all at once!

Tempura prawns was not too bad. Good batter with good sized prawns. Order was served promptly and well mannered waitress. Cold noodles, zaru soba was so-so, without quail egg :mad:

Ordered alot of grilled items and turned out pretty fine, except for the grilled ****ake mushroom which turned out more steamed than grilled to me! It looks whitish (without any sauce or any grilled surface). Giving it the benefit of the doubt, i sank my teeth into it and as expected it is tasteless, soft and slimey. Totally disgusting ! Told the waitress to grill the rest of the 3 sticks and add some sauce... 5 - 10 mins later, she emerged with the 'revamped' grilled ****ake. Very hesitant to try, as it still appears steamed to me, I let my gal frens check it out before taking the step of faith. It turns out slightly better but still disappointing. That mushroom dish was my last of the day and sad to say that the total experience @ Aji hanabi, started off pretty well but ended up badly.....

Ask if i will try again. Yes I will. For the thick succulent salmon sashimi, most definitely.

-- by food critic, nikuku

honeyjustgotfunny
15th February 2008, 12:16 PM
Hi ya! yakinikuku

you sound like a 'old bird' at jap food leh ! I also love jap food!

Check out IMM Jap buffet....not too bad also. No ambience but very generous with the fish dishes...if you are fish eater it will be great! and not very expensive ! One thing i hate is that they limit the portion of sashimi, something like 1 plate per pax (of sashimi moriwase).

One place that you should NEVER EVER go in your life is HONJIN @ chow house. Some colleagues and me wanted to check it out cos there is this promo of "1 for 1 grilled lobster" .. Guess what, turns out we received a small plate (sushi plate size) of bite size pcs of what looked more like large size prawns to me, rather than lobster ! And the rest of the food sucks !!!!

Went to J-toshi @ M hotel. Good ambience and not too bad food ! Garlic rice abit oily though... been so long ago, want to check it out again ! Maybe next weekend....this few weeks too much good food !

Any other suggestions for good jap buffet?

JuJu
15th February 2008, 02:16 PM
how about mirama hotel, level one there is a jap restaurant that served buffet, i always go for there sashimi, unlimted servings but think pricy at i think $50++. hope

hope it's still there. have not been to there in ages.

happylalapo
18th February 2008, 05:02 PM
Hey you guys may like to try out the Yakitori restaurant at Prinsep Street. Very tasty
:D

JuJu
19th February 2008, 02:16 PM
Honjin restaurant seems to be around for a long time and the waitresses dress up in Kimono.

There is quite a large spread of over 60 items from the yakitori, tempura, sashimi, maki, handroll etc.

The food comes quite promptly. Sashimi is fresh and the tempura dishes are well prepared. I really liked the soft shell crab handroll. I would rate the food to be between Waraku and Nara standard.

It cost about $34 for buffet.

cookies
20th February 2008, 09:11 AM
I stumbled into this place called En Japanese Dining Bar sometime in the middle of last year when some friends and I were feeling hungry after a few drinks at Robertson Quay. As we were walking around (at about 11 pm) trying to find a place to eat, this japanese restaurant (situated along the main mohd sultan stretch) was the only restaurant open.

I have never looked back since. The japanese food here is good, prices are not too high for a good japanese restaurant, and they serve the hard-to-find dishes i like - ikura nattou, carpaccio and some nice grilled stuff. They also have a small but cosy 'private' room.

shrekkie33
21st February 2008, 03:11 PM
woah ! talking about food ! My favourite topic !!

you guys talk talk eat eat ...makes me hungry siah !

Now deciding which one to go this weekend !!!