PDA

View Full Version : questions about interior design firm

euphoria
25th February 2008, 06:07 PM
hi hi

1st time renovating my flat. Anyone have experienced with interior designer? Any good one to introduce? What are the information they need prior from me ? Any idea how much they will cost? I very scared they will charge really high! ...

lost & puzzled now .... :confused:

irng
27th February 2008, 09:38 AM
you can check out home success. my cousin's house was renovated by them. their works are not bad and they deliver on time. all you need is to give them your floor plan and let them know the style you want (eg. zen, simplicity etc) and tell them your budget then leave the rest to them.
don't be too hurry to commit into one take your time to shop around and most important go for a reliable one.

honeyjustgotfunny
27th February 2008, 11:26 AM
hi euphoria,

you might also want to do some homework yourself so that you know wat the ID is talking about during your discussion (and not let ID suay you towards a situation favorable to them but not you... in simpler terms means 'dont let them con you' :p :

1) Floor tiles: you prefer homogenous, ceramic, laminates, etc? Difference in each? Range of tiles they willing to bear. As in, how much psf is the tiles you are allowed to choose from.
2) Room Cabinets: Do you need them to do up the wardrobes in the bedroom, Cupboards in the kitchens?
3) Laminates, paints and solid tops: Good to ask them for their range of products on offer
4) Electrical works & Lighting: Do you need extra lighting points, shifting of points... etc and other things related to electrical works? Inform them prior to at least give you a cost break down for the different things. This is especially important if you intend to put downlights and a false ceiling in your home.
3) Other stuff like window grills, painting...etc should be communicated as well.

Just inform ID on the main ideas (no need to go into details), when requesting for quotes.

Under the myhappyhouse directory (http://www.myhappyhouse.com.sg/mydirectorylist.php?Cat=1&SCID=31&SPage=1), there are some recommended ID which you can considered.

good luckie! :D

honeyjustgotfunny
27th February 2008, 11:27 AM
euphoria,

oops ..typo! I mean "sway" NOT "SUAY"......

hahaha

doraemon1234
28th February 2008, 01:29 PM
Great advice honey!

Just add on, cause I had some bad experience with ID/contractors previously. Just to clarify things furthers, we must take the responsibilty to be clear on the cost and what it entails when looking at quotes, to minimize possibility of arguments.

For floor, make sure that they break up the cost by per-square-foot (psf). And carpentry, by per-foot-run (pfr). If it is kitchen cabinets, check if the quote is based on which cabinets. For water piping, ensure that there is no limit to the length run in the home. Some will quote a very cheap price, then after that tell you that the cost only applied for a certain length of water pipe in the home. And if you want to run all, you need to top up the difference. That could easily cost you awhole lot more.

My advice. Be clear and know what you want. Don't rely totally on ID or contractors..... :o

irng
29th February 2008, 09:31 AM
wow honeyjustgotfunny and doraemon1234,

you guys are just great. so much good advise. woww..... when i did my reno, my hubby handles everything. i just accompanied him to the various ID firm and he did all the negotiation. now then i know it's such a tedious job. poor hubby. thanks for the hard work for giving me a beautiful home.

euphoria
29th February 2008, 11:56 AM
hi guys,

thanks so much for ya contributions. Havent had time to contact the ID, going to do it today so that atleast can meet up over the weekend.

Will keep all that you have mentioned in mind.

I need to bring along floor plan right? Do they need to come my place to take a look ? If yes, at which stage will they need to come? I haven't got my key yet leh ....

Any idea?

euphoria
4th March 2008, 12:36 PM
only managed to call up a few IDs, but still donno which one to consult? Any idea which is better? Those ID companies at the basement of HDB kind or those advertised heavily ones? Always have perception that those who advertised heavily will charged more leh ....

anyone have any experience to share?

puzzled & lost

precious
15th July 2008, 10:18 PM
me asked for their package price: basic reno items.
using that as yardstick, me compared prices among the ID firms.
Also, me prefer Radac listed firms. at least if anything nt right, got place to complain. (not those one-month shop, close down as soon as u go make complain :D)

think basic must do are:
plumbing, electric works, aircon, flooring & wall tiles (kitchen & loo) & kitchen cabinets.
Other carpentry works like wardrobe & tv console & false ceilings are hope-to-have.
At least these are stuffs u can buy off the shelf or need not have (false ceiling).

Me took up a basic reno from ID firm, then carpentry outsourced.
More to follow up on my own. But the cost is much lower.
Hv nt start reno yet... more update later:D