PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC Inverter/Non-inverter aircons?

McMuffin
19th January 2012, 11:10 PM
Hi guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my aircon. Not sure whether to get an inverter or non-inverter, AC or DC. Any feedback is much appreciated!

cookies
20th January 2012, 04:46 PM
yar i want to know what's the difference too?

mhhouse
27th January 2012, 12:32 AM
It depends on your usage. My aircon contractor told me if I use the aircon daily for long hours, energy efficiency becomes more important and that I should buy a DC inverter aircon. But from what I can see from this article http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20080422-61154.html, this may just be theoretical...

McMuffin
30th January 2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks mhhouse! The sales guy I spoke with claimed that the cost savings between an AC and DC inverter is around 10% -15% and another 10% - 15% for inverter vs non-inverter but when I asked whether there was any proper case studies carried out, he couldn't really tell me one...

happylalapo
31st January 2012, 07:04 PM
Share my experience with you.

I am using inverter air-con daikin, they were good during the first 2 years of usage but on the 3rd year, circuit board became faulty than have to change the part, it is costly and only daikin can do the repair. Everytime a part became faulty the cost of repair is at least $150 and above :frown:

I think for the price and the repair cost I am paying, I am doubting if saving energy cost can cover these repairs cost and the cost of the installations ?

hazel
1st February 2012, 10:31 AM
but saving energy means the earth means saving us. you are doing a good deed. :joyous:

McMuffin
13th February 2012, 04:01 PM
If the difference is less than $50, I think I'll surely go for the inverter. However, difference in price between single split non-inverter vs inverter is around $200 - $300. It's uncertain whether an inverter aircon is going to save this amount during its lifetime. My friend was telling me that ticks is more important. He bought a 3 ticks non-inverter aircon 9000 btu and a 2 ticks inverter also at 9000 btu and both aircons electricity usage is around the same. The 3 ticks is also cheaper but I think that's because he bought the 3 ticks one much later.

Curry Chicken
20th February 2012, 03:22 PM
Hmm, single split inverter aircons is a weird concept. I thought inverter aircons only save electricity when they do not operate on full load. If it's a single split, then it will surely be operating on full load right? How does the single split inverter aircon save electricity in this case?

Ah Boy
22nd February 2012, 04:42 PM
Yoyo chicken buddy, you are partly right lah! Inverter also save energy because fan coil don't have to start and stop mah.

wendychia
6th March 2012, 01:06 PM
Whats the different between inverter and non inverter aircon?
I heard people say that non inverter aircon would cost more when servicing, is it true?

Curry Chicken
6th March 2012, 10:14 PM
Compressors of inverter aircons run continuously whereas non-inverters' will switch off when the temperature is below the set temperature. The non-inverter's compressor will switch on again when the temperature goes up. This switching on and off is why non-inverter aircons consume more electricity (thanks ah boy for the tip!)

Not entirely sure here but I don't think non-inverter aircon servicing is more expensive.

Ah Boy
8th March 2012, 09:20 PM
No lah, inverter aircon servicing is a bit more ex than non-inverter. Also inverter aircon is quieter and compressor lifespan also supposed to be longer. Because don't need to start stop. But compressor longer, aircon not so long. My old non-inverter, 10+ years still ok. My 6 year old inverter keep dripping water every night :stupid:

hokwng
28th March 2012, 02:42 PM
non inverter aircon less repairing cost, inverter aircon more sensitive and the parts replacement also more expensive than non inverter. the cost of inverter aircon equipment and repairing can cover the cost u saving on electricity? this is depend on u luck only. same the before TV big size giant and now change to LCD,LED TV much lighter and energy save, but which type much last longer?