PDA

View Full Version : Wood furniture

slow learner
7th April 2012, 04:30 PM
Can anyone advise me what are the various type of wood furniture ?

mekechock
10th April 2012, 06:28 PM
Here is the list of different types of wood furniture.
1. Hardwood and Softwood.
2. Mahogany Wood.
3. Oak Wood.
4. Maple Wood.
5. Cherry Wood.
6. Pine Wood.
7. Cedar Wood.
8. Redwood.

Ah Boy
11th April 2012, 09:27 PM
hardwood, softwood are the main type. mahogany etc are a type of hardwood!

mhhouse
12th April 2012, 07:04 PM
This article on hardwood and softwood furniture is quite informative http://www.myfurniture.com.sg/101/hardwood-softwood-furniture.php

slow learner
14th April 2012, 12:28 AM
This article on hardwood and softwood furniture is quite informative http://www.myfurniture.com.sg/101/hardwood-softwood-furniture.php

Thanks for the information. Now I have good understanding.

ashmakton
17th April 2012, 09:58 PM
Teak and rosewood are likely the most commonly used solid wood for furniture in Singapore...

Pathetic20
19th April 2012, 07:21 PM
Mahogany is finely grained wood with reddish brown color. It is highly durable and can resist swelling, shrinking and warping. This type of wood extensively used for quality furniture such as wooden cabinets, boat construction, wood facings and veneers.

Walnut: has fine texture and is strong, easy to work with. It resists shrinking and warping and can take all types of finishes very well. It is mostly used for making gunstocks, solid and veneered furniture, novelties, cabinetry and wall paneling.

Oak: has good bending qualities apart from being durable. It finishes well and resists moisture absorption. Oak is good for furniture, trimming, boat framing, wooden desks and flooring.

Maple: is a fine textured wood with immense strength and hardness. With moderate shrinkage, maple machines well and is best used in flooring, fine furniture and woodenware such as bowling alleys.

Cherry: is close-grained wood and as resists warping and shrinking. It gets red when exposed to sunlight. It ages well and is extensively used in cabinet making, boat trim, novelties and solid furniture handles.

Rosewood: is close grained hard wood with dark reddish brown color. It has an exclusive fragrance. It is hard to work upon and takes high polish. It is good for making musical instruments, piano cases, tool handles, art projects, veneers and furniture.

Teak: is a hard and moisture- resistant wood. It resists warping, cracking and decay and is best used in fine furniture, paneling, shipbuilding, doors, window framing, flooring and as a general construction wood.

Shesham: is also known as Indian Rosewood and is a rich medium brown wood with deep grains. It is a fast-growing hardwoods and the functional furniture made from it can deal with everyday stresses and strains without loosing its attractive appearance. It is highly durable, easily carved and is exclusively used for making furniture, particularly almirahs and cabinets.

jamiyhaley
16th May 2012, 05:15 PM

Hi slow learner, I have several types of wood furniture like softwood include Pine wood, Hemlock wood, Redwood, Cedar wood etc and hardwood include Mahogany wood, Walnut wood, Oakwood, Maple wood, Cherry wood, Rosewood etc.

Besthihomedecor
13th June 2012, 06:53 PM
Hemlock wood, Redwood are nice choice!

michelle12
7th July 2012, 10:19 PM

Types of Hardwoods and their properties were already posted. Here i'm posting the types of softwoods that used for furniture's.

Pine: has a uniform texture and is very easy to work with. It finishes well and resists shrinkage, swelling and warping. It is widely used in house construction, paneling, furniture, molding and for making wooden boxes.

Hemlock: is lightweight and machines well. It is uniformly textured and has low resistance to decay. It is mainly used for construction lumber, planks, doors, boards, paneling, sub flooring and crates.

Fir: is uniformly textured and has low resistance to decay. It is nonresinous, works easy and finishes well. Fir is used for making furniture, doors, frames, windows, plywood, veneer, general millwork and interior trim.

Redwood: is light, durable and easy to work with. It has natural resistance to decay and is good for making outdoor furniture, fencing, house siding, interior finishing, veneering and paneling.

Spruce: is a strong wood that finishes well and has low resistance to decay. It possesses moderate shrinkage and is light. It is a good option for making masts and spars for ships, aircraft, crates, boxes, general millwork and ladders.

Cedar: is a reddish wood with sweet odor. It is very easy to work with, uniform in texture and is resistant to decay. Cedar is extensively used in chest making, closet lining, shingles, posts, dock planks, novelties and Venetian blinds.

linchdaniel
17th August 2012, 08:59 PM
When choosing furnishings for your restroom or cousin area in your house, you need to search for various choices of wooden furnishings that are available in modern shops. The Internet is an amazing resource for doing such kinds of analysis.

terencet4n
7th September 2012, 05:33 PM

If you're referring to outdoor furniture, then these are the various wood type your should consider

Northern White and Western Red Cedars
Teak
Eucalpytus
Native White Oak
Acacia (Locust)
China Fir

rabi
11th September 2012, 05:19 PM
Wooden Furniture are chosen and valued for the character of their grain and color. Hardwoods usually have a richer and finer-textured grain than softwoods, but there are rich grains of all colors and patterns.Modern furniture is very rarely constructed of all wood. Plywood, or engineered wood is used extensively because it provides strength, and helps prevent splitting or warping.

cocacola
13th November 2012, 08:29 PM
What would you say is most durable out of all the wooden furniture listed above? My sister is in the process of furnishing her new house and is planning on staying there for at least the next 30-40 years so she's after some furniture that is hard wearing and won't rot any time soon etc. She's just finished the process of stripping most of the floorboards, adding insulation and then carpets etc and then she's gonna do the walls and then buy her wardrobes, cabinets etc. Does anyone know much about the different types of oak flooring as well? She's chosen to go for oak because of its durability etc but she's currently choosing between engineered and solid. I've heard engineered is less susceptible to temperature changes, but that's all that I know. She's chosen me as resident researcher so I'm just doing some research for her. I know a few builders who have recommended me this place for engineered oak flooring but I can vouch for them as well because I bought some carpet protection from them as well, but just wondered if anyone else had any experience of this site, or the oak flooring?

Thanks!

Jeck0
30th August 2013, 11:39 AM
Great information which you share above about kind of wood furniture which is very useful for everyone, No doubt furniture become important part of every house which increase every house attraction and elegance...

Khloe
27th November 2014, 05:53 PM
Among all the hardwoods, cherry, maple, mahogany, oak, teak, and walnut are prized for quality furniture.

beerandchicken
2nd December 2014, 12:53 PM
I like the sound of having wood for furniture, but think they will be hard to maintain.

They do provide a certain ambiance for the house, but thinking about cleaning and polishing.. :miserable:

carmenjames
18th March 2015, 04:39 AM
Sampling some softwoods
Cedar
The most common type of cedar is the western red variety. Western red cedar, as its name implies, has a reddish color to it. This type of wood is relatively soft (1 on a scale of 1 to 4), has a straight grain, and has a slightly aromatic smell.
Fir
Often referred to as Douglas Fir, this wood has a straight, pronounced grain, and has a reddish brown tint to it. Fir is most often used for building; however, it's inexpensive and can be used for some furniture-making as well.
Pine
Pine comes in several varieties, including Ponderosa, Sugar, White, and Yellow, and all of them make great furniture. In some areas of the country (especially southwest United States), pine is the wood to use.
Redwood
Like cedar, redwood is used mostly for outdoor projects because of its resistance to moisture. Redwood (California redwood) is fairly soft and has a straight grain.
Homing in on hardwoods
Ash
Ash is a white to pale brown wood with a straight grain. It's pretty easy to work with (hardness of 4 on a scale of 1 to 5) and takes stain quite nicely, but ash is getting harder and harder to find.
Birch
Birch comes in two varieties: yellow and white. Yellow birch is a pale yellow-to-white wood with reddish-brown heartwood, whereas white birch has a whiter color that resembles maple.
Cherry
Cherry is a very popular and all-around great wood; easy to work with, stains and finishes well with just oil, and ages beautifully. Cherry's heartwood has a reddish-brown color to it and the sapwood is almost white.
Mahogany
One of the great furniture woods, mahogany (also called Honduran mahogany) has a reddish-brown to deep-red tint, a straight grain, medium texture, and a hardness of around 2 on a scale of 1 to 5. It takes stain very well and looks great with just a coat (or 10) of oil.
Maple
Maple comes in two varieties: hard and soft. Both varieties are harder than many other woods; hard maple is so hard (a 5 on a scale of 1 to 5) that it's difficult to work with. Soft maple, on the other hand, is relatively easy to work with.
Oak
Oak is one of the most used woods for furniture. Available in two varieties — red and white — oak is strong (hardness of about 4 on a scale of 1 to 5) and easy to work with.
Poplar
Poplar is one of the less expensive hardwoods. It's also fairly soft (1 in hardness on a scale of 1 to 5), which makes it easy to work with. Poplar is white with some green or brown streaks in the heartwood.
Teak
Teak is becoming rarer as the days go on, but it is the staple for fine outdoor furniture. Teak is highly weather-resistant and beautiful (not to mention expensive — can you believe almost $24 a board foot?).
Walnut
With a hardness of about 4 on a 1 to 5 scale, walnut is a rich brown wood that's easy to work with. Unfortunately, walnut is somewhat expensive (usually around $8 a board foot), and finding large boards for big projects is getting difficult.