PDA

View Full Version : HDB Licensed Contractor

kwee34
14th May 2012, 10:25 PM
Harlow, do you guys know whether it is necessary to hire a HDB licensed contractor for HDB renovation? Someone told me that only licensed HDB contractors can carry out HDB renovation, is this true?

nickycboy
17th May 2012, 10:11 PM
I don't think you need a licensed HDB contractor to carry out HDB reno. For some reno work, you may need HDB approval though. A HDB licensed contractor will probably be more qualified and can advise what work requires approval. I think they also tend to be more experienced as HDB has certain criteria on approved contractors having completed a certain number of HDB jobs!

mhhouse
18th May 2012, 04:35 PM
As stated on HDB's website,

The HDB Registered Renovation Contractors' Scheme (RRCS) was introduced to regulate and control the activities of Registered Renovation Contractors (RRCs) when they carry out renovation works in HDB flats. This is to ensure that they do not cause damage to HDB's property or cause nuisance to the residents.

The HDB RRCS appears not to ensure any meaningful quality standards and HDB will also not act as an intermediary in case of any dispute. However, to be registered as a HDB registered renovation contractor, the reno contractor has to have at least three years renovating experience and must be actively involved in the renovation trade, so that gives some assurance.

Most importantly, HDB only allows registered renovation contractors to carry out renovation in HDB flats. If your contractor is not registered, please don't let HDB find out :tongue-new:

McMuffin
21st May 2012, 09:32 PM
It's compulsory to engage a HDB registered contractor for HDB renovation but even if there is no such rule, it's still probably safer to engage one. There are many many registered contractors (http://www.hdb.gov.sg/bn25/isos118p.nsf/List+by+Company?OpenView&Count=15&Start=1&RestrictToCategory=A&CurVal=Reno%20Company%20Name/) so you should be able to find a good and reasonably priced one :greedy_dollars:

kwee34
8th June 2012, 07:04 PM
thanks peeps!