PDA

View Full Version : renovation ideas

happylalapo
15th April 2008, 07:30 PM
I am renovating my new home... and need some opinion..... what is the current fashion trend in reno..... i like the whole apartment to be white.... and clean.... pretty like the zen look but was told that that is out of fashion liao ....anyone with cheap and good idea....

cookies
16th April 2008, 11:18 AM
i think what's most important is creating your own style. by watching the trends is a useful tool in helping to create your own style, because you find out what you don't like. to start it's important to know the basics -- colors you like, furniture styles, and simply how your home makes you feel when you enter in the house.
Trends can be good in obtaining direction for your interior, but remember that you'll have to live with your choices. Keeping with classics and perhaps using a color or furniture trend in small doses can keep a room from looking dated. therefore you don't have to worry about keeping up with the latest trend.

ling
21st April 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi happylalapo,

I agree with cookies... what's most important is still what you fancy. A white room is pretty cool idea. A lot of those elegant loft overseas especially those Scandanavia ones have such clean, minimalistic look. But personally, though it may look rather nice in magazine... it may lack a sense of homeliness and can be seen quite empty and cold. I would suggest some light hues or pastels to go with your white. Also placing flowers or cushion or accessories of bright, contrasting colors sparingly over the place will add livliness around the house. May be you can also take a look at some Japanese modern interior for ideas if you are really into the zen look. light wood furniture and bansai will add serenity. However, white furniture and articles need a bit more work in maintenance and sometime they turn yellowish easily and any stains will be obvious... that's something most practical singaporean homeowners will be concerned of. haha.

cookies
21st April 2008, 06:30 PM
hi ling, thanks for agreeing with me. i think interior design is a really personal thing. what is in trend might not be what you like. so what matters most is set your own style.

mcpqueen
19th May 2008, 06:16 PM
last night i had dinner with some friends and they mentioned now the in thing for renovation is scandinavan style.... probably the ikea type.... consider this for your renovation... seems cheap idea.

cookies
20th May 2008, 02:57 PM
hey talking about ikea, i always heard that ikea's quality no good and such that's that's why it's always so cheap but my room is all ikea's furniture and it's been 5 years and still as good.... well i saying this is because sometimes cheap does not means no good... it applies to all things.. hehehehe....

JuJu
21st May 2008, 09:18 AM
another place you can check out is barang barang.

happylalapo
21st May 2008, 12:16 PM
thank you for all the reply .... i know i can trust myhappyhouse friends for help.

cookies
21st May 2008, 05:17 PM
happylalapo, you are most welcome, always feel free to share anything here. remember you are in myhappyhouse...kekekekek....

lion
22nd May 2008, 09:21 AM
I am renovating my new home... and need some opinion..... what is the current fashion trend in reno..... i like the whole apartment to be white.... and clean.... pretty like the zen look but was told that that is out of fashion liao ....anyone with cheap and good idea....

hi happylalapo,

i came across this website when they shared tips on renovation. i have copied the information as below. hope it will help you better.

Renovating your home can be a very exhilarating experience. Before you jump straight into your renovation works and end up being disappointed and frustrated, proper design and budget planning will definitely help you to reduce disagreements which you may encounter with your renovation contractor, and to spend within your budget.

The following areas are not exhaustive but may provide you with a good start.

Design Planning

Design Styles
There are various design styles you can consider. Usually, the design styles are dictated by market trends. Some of the styles are Modern, Zen, Country and Classics. There are many interior design/renovation companies in the market that can offer you professional advices and you might want to seek their advices before you decide on the style.

Colour Schemes
Choosing the correct paint colour for your walls, ceiling and floor in your home is important. Your choice of colour in a particular room will not only reflect your personal tastes, but will establish the atmosphere and style of the room as well. The trend of paint colours fall in and out of favour over time, rather than indicating the current colour trend, it is better to understand how different colours are related and affect each other. - Colour Basics
There are about 10 million different colours, but all these colour are derived from 3 primary colours
i.e. red, blue and yellow. Primary colours cannot be created by mixing other colours. Secondary colours are orange, green and violet: created by mixing 2 primary colours e.g. mixing red and yellow to get orange. Tertiary colours are formed from a variety of combinations of primaries and secondaries. Shades and tones are formed by lightening or darkening colours with the addition of white or black.

- The Colour Wheel

It is a device that helps you choose colours and its combinations. Related colours are positioned next to one another on the colour wheel. As they are made by mixing the elements of each colour, related colour blend well together. Any group of related colours used in a room will create a harmonious scheme.This will create a restful feel within a room. Complementary colours falls directly opposite each other on the colour wheel. Hence, complementary colours can be used together in a room to create attractive, dramatic colour schemes.

Black, white and grey are neural colours. These colours are not shown on the colour wheel. Colours with large amount of white or black such as beige, off-white or cream are considered as neural colours. They can be used to provide the backdrop for other colours, or they can be used alone in the room to create a harmonious scheme.

Warm colours contain element of yellow and red. The combination can make the room appear to be small and intimate. On the other hand, cool colours, which contain element of blue and green, make the room seems large and cooling.

A light-coloured surface reflects more light than a dark-surfaced. Hence, a light-coloured room will appear more open and bigger while dark-coloured surface makes the room smaller.

- Tips on Colour Mixing and Matching:
Colours appear to be more intense when set on a white or near-white background.
Dark colours look even darker when placed near light colours.
Complementary colours look more intense when used next to each other.
Warm colours evoke a cosy, intimate mood.
Cool colours evoke a tranquil mood.
The lightness and darkness of colours can also affect mood. For example, a deep yellow will produce a more intimate effect than pale lemon.
Colour can be used to create spatial effects. Light colour and cool colour will visually make a room larger. While dark and warm colours will make the room smaller.

Budget Planning
Prior to sourcing for renovation contractors, you may want to visit the various sites below to find out more about the renovation loan packages provided by them, to assist in your budgeting.