PDA

View Full Version : ants everywhere? How?

mcpqueen
15th April 2008, 11:04 PM
there are ants everywhere.... running me crazy... can someone advise me best solution to this "ants problem"

cookies
16th April 2008, 11:45 AM
the most conventional way - insecticide. but you must be able to trace the nest to eliminate the whole army. my house has this similar problem as well but they don't come in an army, they are just solitary soldier doing their rounds so when i see them i just use the most immediate and mighty solution - my finger.

duffyduck
8th May 2008, 04:06 PM
Hello mcpqueen,

Try some of these:
The 1st thing to do is to remove the attractants:
-keep counters free of crumbs and sticky spots.

-Cover the sugar and put the honey jar in a plastic baggie.

-Cut off water sources such as drips or dishes left soaking overnight.

If the problem still persist, try these simple measures:
-Keep a small spray bottle handy, and spray the ants with a bit of soapy water.

-Trace the ant column back to their point of entry. Mix a half teaspoon each of honey, borox, and aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet, etc.), in small bottles. Place bottles on their sides, with lids off, in areas of most ant activity. Ants will carry the bait back to their colonies.

-Once confirm the point of entry, set any of the following items at the entry area in a small line, which ants will not cross: cayenne pepper, citrus oil (can be soaked into a piece of string), lemon juice, cinnamon or coffee grounds. Important: use indoors only; must be kept away from pets and children.

-Set out cucumber peels or slices in the kitchen or at the ants' point of entry. Many ants have a natural aversion to cucumber. Bitter cucumbers work best.

-Leave a few tea bags of mint tea near areas where the ants seem most active. Dry, crushed mint leaves or cloves also work as ant deterrents.

-Leave a small, low wattage night light on for a few nights in the area of most ant activity. The change in light can disrupt and discourage their foraging patterns.

-Ants on the deck? Slip a few cut up cloves of garlic between the cracks.

don enemy
17th June 2008, 03:12 PM
wow duffyduck,

i am impressed with your suggestions. very knowledgable.

forever tired
19th August 2008, 10:52 AM
me... when i discovered an army of them at my door... i pour lots of water over them to flush them down the corridor drain. immediate clearance :D :D :D

happylalapo
20th August 2008, 06:36 PM
my experience with ants, is to clean the areas with dettol. It works wonder, ants hates dettol.

evel
21st August 2008, 05:24 PM
i have this small army of ants in my house. they are tiny and love to swim in the water. my flask of water always have alot of ants swimming. the problem is when you throw away the water, thinking that they are all dead but they are not, they are up and about again.

i wonder what kind of ants are these? water proof ants?

vincehu564
16th November 2009, 04:48 PM
maybe you can try this tip

First, pick up some boric acid powder and mix a small amount of it 50:50 with sugar. Next, put some of this mix into a small container such as the the cap from a 1.5 litre bottle. Finally, drop some water into it to make a thick suspension. That's it — you're now ready to kill some ants.

evel
17th November 2009, 01:47 PM
maybe you can try this tip

First, pick up some boric acid powder and mix a small amount of it 50:50 with sugar. Next, put some of this mix into a small container such as the the cap from a 1.5 litre bottle. Finally, drop some water into it to make a thick suspension. That's it — you're now ready to kill some ants.

you mean it will work like those insert killer where you placed in some dark corners and waiting for ants to commit sucide is it?

myong406
17th November 2009, 03:01 PM
hey evel,

i actually know this one. this solution actually prevent ants from showing up. ants dont like the scent of that so just leave this around the area where ants usually show up. soon enough, they will just disappear.

cookies
18th November 2009, 12:26 PM
hey evel,

i actually know this one. this solution actually prevent ants from showing up. ants dont like the scent of that so just leave this around the area where ants usually show up. soon enough, they will just disappear.

where to get the boric acid? hardware shop? is it toxic cos i have a dog i don't want to murder her

myong406
18th November 2009, 01:02 PM
dont worry cookies. boric acid is not toxic as its toxicity is approximately the same as salt. u can get boric acid at hardware stores or maybe even large supermarkets

cookies
19th November 2009, 12:20 PM
ok ok thanks myong406. will check it out.

myong406
19th November 2009, 02:54 PM
=) good luck with the war against the ants

milooi
3rd December 2009, 11:19 AM
Another alternative is to place baby powder along the base of all doors, windows, and any other opening. Ants will not cross a baby powder line as it kills them immediately. This is one method of how to get rid of ants quickly and safely too =)

ashmakton
15th December 2009, 04:39 PM
this would be so interesting to try but too bad for me. i dont have any ant problems at home.

nickycboy
16th December 2009, 02:35 PM
i paid like $100 to pest control, they simply spray some toxic chemicals all around the house and NO ANTS for the next 1-1.5 years :)

not a good idea if you have pets or children in the home

Ah Boy
21st December 2009, 09:49 PM
Another alternative is to place baby powder along the base of all doors, windows, and any other opening. Ants will not cross a baby powder line as it kills them immediately. This is one method of how to get rid of ants quickly and safely too =)

Baby powder?!! :confused:

milooi
22nd December 2009, 10:28 AM
Baby powder?!! :confused:

give it a shot. i haven't really tried it cos i dont have ant problems. i took that tip off the web. try it and give us feedback on whether or not it works..

nickycboy
29th December 2009, 12:18 PM
give it a shot. i haven't really tried it cos i dont have ant problems. i took that tip off the web. try it and give us feedback on whether or not it works..

i tried the baby powder. im not so sure if it works cos they walk towards the powder, smell, then turn the other direction. they dont die though. or maybe they will die in the nest... confused :(

hoclara
4th January 2010, 11:34 AM
i've tried this too. i put some powder when there were lots of ants cos of spilled drinks. they all flock to the powder and stay there. its as if they like it. maybe there's sugar in my baby powder

cookies
5th January 2010, 09:13 AM
so eventually do the ants die. i used baby powder so if it works i can probably try that. but if the wind blows how?

nickycboy
5th January 2010, 11:26 AM
i think the ants would really die. i just read so many articles on this cos i thought it was utter rubbish. but now it seems that it is true. as for the wind, i dont think u can really do anything about that. just close the windows or just place the powder in an area that has little or no wind.