PDA

View Full Version : You can't find Honest Agents These Days

irng
24th April 2008, 06:35 PM
Sad to say that these days there are no honest agents. All they care about is their commission even in the interest of the buyer or seller. My neighbour recently committed a purchase and the Option was handled through the Seller's agent. The price was agreed based on the total area of the Apt (floor area). However, upon checking doing a seach by my lawyer we found out that the area is about 3% smaller then what the seller has initially given. Accordingly to the law, anything below 3% in the shortfall is acceptable. The Agent as well as Seller claimed that the area in their previous documents and searches indicated that the area provided to me is correct and they have no idea how the title search shows a smaller area. Just wanted to share this story and hope all home buyers be very very careful when dealing with agents.

JuJu
25th April 2008, 09:18 AM
Sad to say that these days there are no honest agents. All they care about is their commission even in the interest of the buyer or seller. My neighbour recently committed a purchase and the Option was handled through the Seller's agent. The price was agreed based on the total area of the Apt (floor area). However, upon checking doing a seach by my lawyer we found out that the area is about 3% smaller then what the seller has initially given. Accordingly to the law, anything below 3% in the shortfall is acceptable. The Agent as well as Seller claimed that the area in their previous documents and searches indicated that the area provided to me is correct and they have no idea how the title search shows a smaller area. Just wanted to share this story and hope all home buyers be very very careful when dealing with agents.

I think you do not really have a case.

Anyway, when you saw the unit, you liked it and you are okay with the price they quoted then don't get upset over it. 3% difference in GFA is totally negligible.

Anyway agents are commission-based whichever side pay them, they are have to fulfil their duty and stand on the side of the owner/buyer depending on who pays the agent.

cookies
25th April 2008, 12:24 PM
Look on the bright side, at least you did not have to pay for the agent's commission.