PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on nice Hawker Food

cookies
28th April 2008, 12:17 PM
Hi Hi....came across this forum where they shared all the nice hawker food. i have copied some of their recommendations here to share with you people.

- Tiong Bahru market's Lor mee
- Alexandra Village market's claypot laksa (oni in mornings), bak kut teh and avocado juice
- lavender food court's wanton mee (closed on Wednesdays)
- Lagoon's wanton mee, chix wings and satay bee hoon
- Whampoa market's rojak, satay bee hoon and chix wings and BBQ crabs
- Redhill market's carrot cake, Oyster omelette
- ABC market's chicken rice
- Jurong West 500 series market's wanton mee, chix porridge
- Bukit Batok St 11's Hor Fun
- Margaret Drive's Chao Kway Tiao (only open from Mon to Sat, only at nite, If I not wrong is from 5 pm to 11pm) - normally u need to q for half an hour if the queue is long...SUPER NICE!
- Holland Hawker Centre's Kway Chap - there are 2 stalls there, eat the one with the red bowls and plates. They only open in the morning till afternoon. The Kuay and chilli is super nice...drooling...

Feel free to add anything else to keep the ball rolling .....

hazel
30th April 2008, 11:26 AM
hey cook,

talking about Alexandra Village market's claypot laksa (oni in mornings), bak kut teh and avocado juice, any idea how to make that avocado juice. it's simply delicious but my mom try to make it at home but taste different leh. wonder what extra ingredients they add. any idea?

hazel nut

lion
2nd May 2008, 10:21 AM
Hellooo.....

I used to stay at Whampoa in during my childhood days. Whampoa market is the only place that has many many good food.

- Mee siam and lontong
- Ban mian
- Odeh Odeh
- Boon Tong Kee Chicken Rice (If I'm not wrong, do you know that Boon Tong Kee chicken rice started from there and imagine now they have quite a few franchise stalls)

The Lion is craving for good food now....

happylalapo
2nd May 2008, 05:28 PM
Outram - No 3 crab - very good rojak special type with chicken cutlet

eileenlim
3rd May 2008, 10:25 AM
Redhill market's SATAY BEEHOON, ICE KACHANG and Bedok North BAH CHOR MEE

cookies
3rd June 2008, 03:44 PM
If only Bedok north Bah Chor mee served dry then I like it but too bad they only serve soup. i'm more of a chilli person.

cookies
4th June 2008, 12:15 PM
someone from another site recommended the following as well. copied here for your info. keep the list rolling.

1. ABC market - claypot rice. the fruit drink stall opposite also not bad
2. margaret drive market - second floor claypot rice and guo tie (gyoza). first floor western food
3. bukit merah view - western food (wild wild west). the coffeeshop nearby (blk 115) tian tian hainanese curry rice
4. Alexandra village (bukit merah lane 1) - the claypot laksa as mentioned, the indian rice next door, the chin chao drink two stalls away, and the vegetarian food along the same stretch
5. hong lim food centre - ground floor is curry chicken noodles and bak kut teh, second floor is char kway tiao (outram park), fish soup, almond soy bean milk, hakka zi char, porridge (only open after 9pm, morning sells roast meats), bak chang
6. lagoon food centre - love the satay bee hoon and the beef noodles there not bad
7. jln beseh food centre - two beef noodles stall on the ground floor not bad

evel
5th June 2008, 08:58 AM
tiong bahru market - pig organ soup and prawn mee. but the prawn mee always sold out by lunch time
zion rd food centre - there's a stall that sells fried fritters, got cheese fish cake etc. quite not bad and different from usual fried stuff

janeng
6th June 2008, 08:43 AM
actually alexandra village got alot of nice food - bak ku teh, those BBQ seafood, hor fun with big mussels and fresh prawns. parking is a hassel though.

JuJu
7th June 2008, 09:47 AM
you know the bedok camp, famous for ching ting and hokkien mee. they have renovated with a small carpark. these 2 stalls are still there and still long queue as always

Babyrie
12th June 2008, 10:31 PM
go try black pepper crab at Joo Chiat off still road - near chiku and rambutan road - so yummy you will die for.:D

Babyrie
21st July 2008, 12:23 AM
adam road prawn noodle - very good soup.

lavender wan ton noodle - the best you can find.

coke addict
21st July 2008, 10:38 AM
i have tried alexandra village market claypot laksa. really good. the gravy is rich and has a very strong aroma. worth the queue. but got to go early cos during lunch time, the queue starts appearing.

Babyrie
21st July 2008, 03:15 PM
i also like the yong tou hu at lucky plaza

happylalapo
21st July 2008, 10:28 PM
hey babyrie

seems like everyday you have new place to recommend ...

okay today i went to clementi and had claypot rice, i think is somewhere new blk 283 - very excellent claypot rice

witty cat
23rd July 2008, 07:34 PM
meow! meow!

Smith street - chinatown - fresh steam bean paste fish head

witty cat loves to eat, lick! lick!

little faith
24th July 2008, 10:46 AM
saw on chinese news yesterday about price of eggs might go up again. and using alternative such as liquid egg.

one aunty was saying his son use liquid egg to fry chay kway teow at his stall and customers complained that the kway teow is watery.

hmmmm.. using liquid egg to fry kway teow will make it watery....i wonder what that means?

what is the process of manufacturing liquid egg anyway ? isn't it break the eggs , beat it up and putting preservatives to make it last?

Babyrie
31st July 2008, 08:10 PM
hey! another place to recommend - Mimolette - eng neo ave

cookies
1st August 2008, 08:44 AM
the fishhead steamboat along jalan sultan road. there's 2 apparently, can't remember the name of the one i like but it's at the junction of jalan sultan and north bridge road. this onw has alot of fishes.

cookies
25th August 2008, 05:36 PM
yesterday, i brought my family to zhou's kitchen by tung lok group for lunch. they served ala carte buffet tim sum. for $19.60 ++ per pax is quite worth it. usually if we were to go red lantern at chin manhatan house, it's about that price per person as well. for 6 pax and above, you get to a free crab (not a big one) but better then nothing. if you interested to go better RSVP cos it's full house. the food is quite ok lar for the kind of price you are paying.

ling
25th August 2008, 06:01 PM
yesterday, i brought my family to zhou's kitchen by tung lok group for lunch. they served ala carte buffet tim sum. for $19.60 ++ per pax is quite worth it. usually if we were to go red lantern at chin manhatan house, it's about that price per person as well. for 6 pax and above, you get to a free crab (not a big one) but better then nothing. if you interested to go better RSVP cos it's full house. the food is quite ok lar for the kind of price you are paying.

I've been there recently too. I guess as part of the Tong luk group, they've maintain the standard. No bad for the ala carte dishes. Love their steam rice with mushroom chicken. Think I'll visit again to try their dim sum buffet :D

eileenlim
8th September 2008, 11:25 AM
yesterday, i went to the hawker centre and bedok south. my sis-in-law told me alot of food there is nice. we waited 45 minutes for the char kuey teow and 30 minutes for the prawn noodle. frankly speaking, the char kuey teow was not fantastic. i feel that it is not worth the wait.

EILEEN LIU
8th September 2008, 11:28 AM
last week, i was at hawker centre next to bedok bus interchange. i have always heard that there are a lot of nice food there. after walking around, i decided on a fried hokkien mee. waited abt 15 mins. so so only, not worth the wait. i was there ard 5+pm ( close to 6pm ) but did not see a single queue at any of the stalls. thought there would be long queues there.

cookies
8th September 2008, 01:30 PM
i stay at bedok, but seldom eat at the hawker, the only thing i always buy there is shui kueh which i thought was nice.

evel
13th September 2008, 12:57 PM
anyone knows of nice duck rice? i heard there's one shop near pasir panjang village which is nice but quite ex and also abit far. anywhere near hougang side have?

Curry Chicken
15th September 2008, 10:07 AM
Ubi has many good duck rice stalls! Lor Ah Soo has a fantastic one and the duck rice stall at Ubi Tech Park is very good. Alexandra Village hawker centre also has a very unique version. The meat is boneless and quite thinnly sliced but the flavour is awesome and it comes with a bowl of salted vegetable soup :D

onion
15th September 2008, 11:38 AM
anyone knows of nice duck rice? i heard there's one shop near pasir panjang village which is nice but quite ex and also abit far. anywhere near hougang side have?

You mean roast or braised? For braised one, try geylang... the franchise - "you ji" is also quite good despite their many outlets, standard is there. For roasted duck, rice - Alexandra hawker is quite good but the portion is too small for man la... ladies still ok. There's one excellent roast duck store along beach road.

evel
16th September 2008, 08:53 AM
thanks onion for sharing but all quite far leh. hougang have anot? braised or roast also can.

onion
16th September 2008, 11:00 AM
Not sure about Hougang... But I think Kovan's hawker there's a stall for braised duck not bad. it's just next to kovan mrt / kovan heartland mall

evel
17th September 2008, 08:30 AM
oh great, is there one have not been there for a while. will check it out. thanks onion.

happylalapo
17th September 2008, 11:21 AM
Must try the one at Geylang lorong 31 - really good.

evel
18th September 2008, 08:46 AM
the parking there very difficult leh.

Ah Boy
22nd September 2008, 12:54 PM
Aiya, where is cheap and good and parking easy to find one :confused:

evel
23rd September 2008, 08:42 AM
boy, if slightly expensive i don't mind, most important must be convinient. image purposely making a trip then then can't get parking can really spoil your mood to eat.