PDA

View Full Version : Pots and Pans

happylalapo
19th May 2008, 06:56 PM
hi there anyone can recommend me good brand of pots and pans.... this type of things i believe must buy good one cause they will be there for ages....maybe only buy one set that will last me for 10or even 20 years. Slightly more expensive nevermind... but must last and look good.

Most important can cook up good meals that taste good...... :) :D :p

EILEEN LIU
13th June 2008, 10:01 AM
hi happylalapo,

few things are manufactured to last for 10-20 yrs. if they are , then the manufacturers would go bankrupt cos their products are so durable , sales figures are unable to go up.

cookies
14th June 2008, 09:06 AM
hi eileen,

i bet to differ. somethings that are make to use for years stay for that purpose. eg, my washing machine has been with me for more than 10 years. the life span depends on the person who use the things whether do they bother to take proper care.

don enemy
16th June 2008, 10:10 AM
happylalapo,

don't get it. why would you want to use the same product for 10-20 yrs. it is not something of sentimental value like a gift from family members or love ones.

nowadays, manufacturers keep launching new products. take for instance. shampoo, clean care products, whenever new products are launched, i would buy and try.

if i have a pot which i have used for 10 yrs, i would be tempted to buy a newer pot with more new features to use.

cookies
17th June 2008, 08:55 AM
hi don enemy,

i don't think it's so much about using the product for some many years. some products are built to last for a while. it's not about getting bored and thus changing new ones. we are not talking about fashion, throw when not in trend. we are talking about money? maybe you never really buy such things at home and probably you don't really understand the importance of buying a household item that last.

don enemy
17th June 2008, 10:26 AM
hi cookies,

true , i never really buy pots and pans. i usually buy little things like knife, dustbin , forks and spoon. stuff that will break down or not be effective after few yrs.

my mum , at one point, was very crazy with pots and pans. she kept buying them. i got so irritated seeing her waste so much money , buy so many pots that took up so much space.

last night , i was searching for a good mug to bring to my new office. ( previously, i already brought 2 very pretty mugs for office use - for clients to use ) .

last night , i searched for a mug for my own use. my family has accumulated a lot of mugs- they are usually free items banded with washing detergents / toothpaste purchases.

seriously tempted to throw away some as they are yellowish. but did not do it cos don't want to waste things.

eileenlim
18th June 2008, 10:14 AM
seriously tempted to throw away some as they are yellowish. but did not do it cos don't want to waste things.[/QUOTE]

hey don enemy,

saw your remarks about yellowish mug. don't throw them away still good to use. just soak them with a bit bleach and it will turn out as nice, clean and white as new. but of course make sure you wash them cleanly after that.

:p

don enemy
18th June 2008, 11:32 AM
huh? soak them in bleach. i do not know bleach works for mugs as well but kind of weird to be drinking mugs that have been washed bleach.

thanks for the info. will try it soon.

happylalapo
18th June 2008, 03:53 PM
Ha! Ha!

Cookies thank you for explaining to Don...

I am looking for pots and pans that will not only last and also can cook up good food. A friend of mine told me there is this brand of cookware, not cheap to own a set. She says it is like miracle pots , where whatever you attempt to cook will turn up delicious. She also say it cost more than 1000 even up to 2000 for a good set, however, she could not tell me the brand so now i am searching for it :p .

cookies
19th June 2008, 08:57 AM
wah i won't pay $1,000 to $2,000 for pots and pans lor. i don't believe got such miracles. if you have the right cooking skills, even you use a $10 pot also can cook up good food.

don enemy
19th June 2008, 09:40 AM
i totally agree. many roadside stallholders, the pots and pans they use are inexpensive.look at the queue, the food is delicious regardless of the price of the cookware.

cookies
20th June 2008, 08:58 AM
don, you wrote as if we are in bangkok or even malaysia got roadside stalls. hahahah. singapore have meh?

don enemy
20th June 2008, 10:06 AM
HI COOKIES

ya there are still roadside stalls in spore.

the 'new version' - at chinatown.

there are roadside stalls @ that stretch of road near LAO PA SAT still right?

huey
30th June 2008, 06:36 PM
huh? soak them in bleach. i do not know bleach works for mugs as well but kind of weird to be drinking mugs that have been washed bleach.

thanks for the info. will try it soon.

Aiyo... bleach your mug! you sure or not... better dun la... it's chemical leh. especially for porcelain ones... those kind will absorb one, dun believe... you dun wash it after drinking coffee... that's why there's stains. to get rid, use soda powder or lemon juice. acid will dissolve the stain la.

don enemy
30th June 2008, 06:45 PM
many yrs ago , in one of my first temp jobs, i had worked in ice cream parlour before for a few mths.

i remember that ice cream parlour taught the workers to use diluted bleach to clean the counter and other surfaces.

bleach has disinfectant function too.

huey
30th June 2008, 07:22 PM
ha... ice cream parlour... what do they care! those outside food vendors more like funeral parlours!

One of my fren accidentally drink some bleach and was rushed to hospital when she's young... if it's ok then why need to see doc?

duffyduck
30th June 2008, 07:32 PM
now huey... let's not be over reacting on the usage of bleach. the right amount is actually quite ok for washing and disinfecting cookware and utensils. the appropriate ratio is 1 Tablespoon 5.25% bleach per 1 Gallon of water

bookworm
10th July 2008, 06:46 PM
hey happylalapo

you can get the Tiger brand termal cooker, heard it cook nice dishes.

bookworm
10th July 2008, 06:49 PM
hey happylalapo

you can buy tiger thermal cooker - heard cook nice dishes

don enemy
10th July 2008, 07:04 PM
hi bookworm

where is this tiger pot sold? sorry, never heard of this brand before, made in which country ???

bookworm
11th July 2008, 05:49 PM
hi don

you can buy from Takashimaya /robinson/tangs
tiger is japanese brand :eek: :eek:

don enemy
11th July 2008, 06:02 PM
hi bookworm

thanks. japanese products always very good quality. thanks, when i go shopping tomo at orchard, shall drop by take a look.

yogibabe
6th August 2008, 12:09 PM
Ha! Ha!

Cookies thank you for explaining to Don...

I am looking for pots and pans that will not only last and also can cook up good food. A friend of mine told me there is this brand of cookware, not cheap to own a set. She says it is like miracle pots , where whatever you attempt to cook will turn up delicious. She also say it cost more than 1000 even up to 2000 for a good set, however, she could not tell me the brand so now i am searching for it :p .

if there's this kind of 'miracle' pots then we won't need to go to restaurants anymore.. perhaps all of us may even become michelin star chefs ahhaha...

seriously, i still stick to WMF. hardy, with different ranges to suit your needs. i just bought a set for me new flat. we chose a set of 4 pcs @ $100, then another big pot good for soup and another inner pot (with holes for pasta). Total is $176.90, cheaper and suit my needs better than their $199 for 6 pcs set.

btw, bought them at isetan.

cookies
7th August 2008, 11:59 AM
i'm thinking to buy a small pan for frying eggs (those really very small ones like palm size). do you think it's silly. i like my eggs to be really small and thick. i used the big pan, it also spread.... you think's it waste of $...

little faith
7th August 2008, 01:39 PM
hi cookies,

instead of buying yet another pan, why not go to NTUC buy those metal frame especially for frying egg ( sunny side up ).

they come in round or heart shape. they are cheap ( compared to buying a mini pan ) and light in size and weight - good and easy to keep.

using that , i am sure your egg will be much perfect in the shape compared to frying it in a mini pan.

cookies
8th August 2008, 08:52 AM
thanks little faith,

but i think i need a non-stick pan, the small pan i have is really lousy. also the round or heart-shape metal thingy, i was wondering how to cook the top since i can't flip over the egg? wait the top not cook, the bottom of the egg already burnt. any good suggestions?

milooi
31st December 2009, 10:52 AM
thanks little faith,

but i think i need a non-stick pan, the small pan i have is really lousy. also the round or heart-shape metal thingy, i was wondering how to cook the top since i can't flip over the egg? wait the top not cook, the bottom of the egg already burnt. any good suggestions?

u can try coooking it in a convection oven. chances of burning are very slim

fwong93
4th January 2010, 11:18 AM
u can try coooking it in a convection oven. chances of burning are very slim

the taste will be different if cooked in the oven.texture is kinda weird too.

cookies
4th January 2010, 02:41 PM
yar not tried using a oven to cook an egg. i think it's the slightly burnt smell that makes the egg taste good.

i recently brought a tefal 24 cm pan. it was really good. i used to use those cheap ones from shops but the food cooked is also different and much more hussel free when cleaning.

i struggle very long to decide to buy the tefal ones until i saw it on 50% sale at cold storage and immediately went to buy it on the same day.

myong406
5th January 2010, 11:12 AM
yar not tried using a oven to cook an egg. i think it's the slightly burnt smell that makes the egg taste good.

i recently brought a tefal 24 cm pan. it was really good. i used to use those cheap ones from shops but the food cooked is also different and much more hussel free when cleaning.

i struggle very long to decide to buy the tefal ones until i saw it on 50% sale at cold storage and immediately went to buy it on the same day.

great buy. those tefal pans are the good stuff. it makes cooking a lot more fun

lilzee
21st February 2010, 08:39 PM
Yes I've been using Tefal pans for awhile now and I must agree that they are good! It's pretty light-weight and easy to clean too! I recommend it for any new beginners learning how to cook!