PDA

View Full Version : How to protect interior leather furniture from the sun?

super gal
6th March 2013, 11:10 AM
The spot where I placed my leather sofa is exposed to sunlight and I do know that sunlight is the enemy of leather furniture but I prefer my sofa to station there.. Is there any simple ways that I can do to protect the sofa and keep it looking its best?

Home Decor Fanatic
6th March 2013, 01:10 PM
Being exposed to sunlight will cause colour to fade and dry out. Use a good quality leather conditioner to apply on your leather sofa 3 to 4 times a year. Apply with a clean soft cloth. This will help to protect your leather sofa from fading.

shrekkie33
7th March 2013, 04:45 PM
If you cannot shift the sofa to a shaded spot, try closing the curtains, blinds or shades. You can also cover it with decorative blanket during the sunniest part of the day.

Lynn Clarence
23rd August 2013, 12:07 AM
If you choose leather, and there is a lot of Sun, a protected leather (which more or less has a painted surface will hold up best) but this leather is less attractive than a full aniline dyed leather (a more natural leather), the protected leather is also hotter in summer an colder and winter.........

carmenjames
14th April 2015, 03:23 AM
Fading is mainly a problem that affects analine and semi-analine leathers. The only true way to prevent the fading of leather from sunlight is to keep it out of the sun. Try to place semi-aniline and aniline leather furniture out of direct sunlight whenever possible, and follow the closed blinds tip above if you do have to place these leathers in a sunny spot. If you need to put a piece of leather furniture in direct sunlight, as most people do, we recommend fully-finished leather because of its durability and resistance to fading – so think about where you’re going to put your furniture before you buy if at all possible.

NatashaPoidevin04
13th May 2015, 12:31 PM
That's the reason why the color of our sofa fades.Now i know..

York Furnishing
12th December 2016, 05:47 PM
The spot where I placed my leather sofa is exposed to sunlight and I do know that sunlight is the enemy of leather furniture but I prefer my sofa to station there.. Is there any simple ways that I can do to protect the sofa and keep it looking its best?

Cover them with a fitted and waterproof sofa cover. These covers come in every shape and sizes, from BBQ Grill Covers to large patio umbrella covers. Look for durable fabrics that is crack resistant, that feature interlocking seams for more strength and durability.

JohnMcDonald
20th January 2017, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the ideas!

russellnoah52
26th September 2018, 09:50 PM
Now a days this is one of the major problem to everyone who has leather furniture. Sun strong rays can threaten the quality of your furniture which are also irreversible like color fading and drying. To last long and good, leather furniture requires regular care and cleaning. Rehydrating leather is also not an option when natural oils have dried out. Finally what I found - the only best way to protect leather furniture is to clean it carefully 3-4 times in a year, and make possible to keep it out of direct sunlight, especially during the hot summer months. Remember that dark colors absorb more light, and therefore more heat, from the sun. Leather is no exception, so try to avoid putting dark colored leather in direct sunlight if you can.