PDA

View Full Version : life at 30s

cookies
20th June 2008, 05:33 PM
someone asked me this today. after some thoughts i decided to share this.

my friend in his 30s married with no kids earns $2,400 per month after deducting all the loans, balance $1,200. he wants to continue his studies so that he would go further in his career. he asked me with his kind of income and commitment there's no ways he can save for futher studies or even take up another study loan. if this is the case, how can he come out of this circle to further his studies and land him in a better paying job?

well, i feel that at our age, this is the time where career and income should be stable. we should be at the phrase of our life where we build our family and grow our $. frankly speaking, if you were to ask me to go back to studies, i might think twice. if you study for leisure then it's ok but for career advancement maybe not for career advancement. imagine if you were to take up a loan and you need to take a few years to finance this loan this circle of loan never ends by then you might be in your 40s and still financing loan.

well i really don't know how to share with him but would like to hear more inputs from fellow mates. please feel free to pen your thoughts here.

Ah Boy
20th June 2008, 06:10 PM
I think part time studies quite feasible la. You don't have to sacrifice your full time income and fees is also quite low. Normally only a few K per year.

MISS LAZY
3rd July 2008, 12:08 PM
well, there are always bursaries or grants. nowadays, govt also very encouraging in offering financial support to those who wants to upgrade by taking up courses or wish to join another new industry.

what kind of course is your friend interested in? has he done research or any homework to find out if there are any schemes which can help him lighten his financial burden in terms of the course fees ?

nickycboy
5th January 2010, 11:30 AM
if i were him, i'd just focus on progressing in the current job. a new loan would really be a bother. unless of course he is tenacious. not many are like that. i would rather accept the humble pie that i already have and move from there. too expensive to consider education especially if its a non-public tertiary institution

cookies
6th January 2010, 11:34 AM
yar i agree with you totally. i think studies can be continued during your first few years of work after which should concentrate on building the career. at 30s then pick up studies again, i think it's abit slow. financial also difficult as like you said most institutional does not provide grants.

routristan
6th January 2010, 01:48 PM
if he's married and have a dual income family, that mayb possible. but im almost sure that the wife will be hesitant abt it. plus, if there are children, the burden is heavier. unless of course, his wife is earning a very high income.

its really difficult man. those that are not so booksmart, get left out in many areas. thats just life i suppose. ftw

cookies
3rd May 2010, 09:52 AM
bite the bullet then move on lor. that's why i think in our current society education is important. it's the basic entry for most good jobs.

kwee34
3rd May 2010, 03:18 PM
I think upgrading one's self is important no matter the age...especially when you find yourself suddenly out of a job or fighting with other younger, more educated colleagues for that promotion. 30s still ok to study...so i would say go ahead! :)

cookies
4th May 2010, 10:29 AM
yar upgrapding oneself if important but that needs money as well. especially when you reached 30s you have many commitments especially for those that has family.

haiya life is tough.

vincehu564
5th May 2010, 11:54 PM
yar upgrapding oneself if important but that needs money as well. especially when you reached 30s you have many commitments especially for those that has family.

haiya life is tough.

Yup life is tough...but look on the bright side...at least the economy picking up liao

cookies
6th May 2010, 02:42 PM
really how do you measure if economy is picking up?

McMuffin
9th May 2010, 09:12 PM
I think quarter on quarter (q-o-q) growth and year on year (y-o-y) growth are normally good indications. And unemployment rate too!

vincehu564
10th May 2010, 10:47 AM
i think generally if you read the papers or hear the news, you would get a feel of how the economy is doing.

cookies
27th May 2010, 01:01 PM
i have been looking for job leh since feb, sent out tonnes of resume but only granted 1 interview. is economy problem or my problem?

milooi
1st June 2010, 05:36 PM
i have been looking for job leh since feb, sent out tonnes of resume but only granted 1 interview. is economy problem or my problem?

Maybe you're choosy?

cookies
2nd June 2010, 04:42 PM
wah if i chosey then i wont's sent tonnes lor. haiya jia liat leh...

Curry Chicken
7th June 2010, 02:43 PM
Hard to tell without looking through your resume cookies. It also depends on the job you are looking for. Maybe you can have a discussion with a recruitment agency and get some feedback?

cookies
8th June 2010, 08:12 AM
i actually responded to some recruitment's agency ad as well and only 1 called me up for interview.

my friend was looking for a sales job in the events and exhibitions industry and i was looking for marketing job in retail.

maybe i was under qualified for a managerial post.

Curry Chicken
8th June 2010, 11:02 AM
Try popping into the recruitment agencies' offices and speak to the recruiters instead of applying and waiting for their calls :)

cookies
23rd November 2010, 07:43 AM
i don't know leh i'm not very positive about recruitment agency.

i have better response going directly.