PDA

View Full Version : Help! My fridge stinks!!!

duffyduck
4th July 2008, 01:50 PM
Hey any expert can help me on this? My fridge is 5yrs old and every time I open it... I just want to faint! The odour is bad... no matter how tight I wrap my food stuff... the smell still lingers. I usually clean it 3 months once... is it enough?

Ah Boy
4th July 2008, 02:01 PM
Alamak duck, just put your stuff in tupperware la :D

MISS LAZY
4th July 2008, 02:06 PM
hi duck,

i have heard of using vinegar, leaving a glass of it inside the fridge. never tried before so not sure if it works or not.

some taxi drivers put pandan leaves at back of car ( near backseats ) to rid bad odour. perhaps you can try that too.

ling
4th July 2008, 02:27 PM
Erm... duffy... I think you need to do a bit more than just trying to keep it under wrap or in tupperware.

Here are something you can try:

1.) Remove all items from fridge. Discard any overdue food that may be mutating.

2.)Clean all the shelves and drawers with soap and water. Don't forget to wipe as much of the walls and floor of the fridge as you can, even under the crisper drawers.

3.)Use Baking Soda. Slice off the top of the baking soda box or pour baking soda in plastic container. Put it in your fridge, uncovered. Smell your fridge about 3 days later. Remove the baking soda and throw it away if it has cleared the smell.

For extreme measure: If the smell persists, dump 1 to 2 cups of freshly ground coffee on a large plate and spread them around. Use multiple plates if the smells are extreme. Close the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours. BTW your fridge will be smelling like coffee for days but it's better than the old odour right?

evel
5th July 2008, 11:55 AM
wow ling,

i'm really impressed with your tips. my mom likes to stock alot of food inside the fridge and keep it there for don't know how long but we still do not have odour problem, and we clean our fridge only like once year hahahhaah..... but still no odour. but your tips really good, next time i clean i will try your method. thanks.

ling
7th July 2008, 10:49 AM
Hi evel, tks for complimenting. I wont call myself an expert... just someone who's quite particular in cleanliness (even my mom can't stand me).

It really depend on the type of food and the container you used when placing them in the fridge. Normally perishable food like cheese, leftovers and fresh food would produce smell after a period of time... but dried food (except salted fish or those fishy smell dried goods. Dried mushroom and chillies are fine) and bottled stuff wont be as much. Also tight lidded tupperware and ziplock bags help too. but polywrap is not a good smell stopper i realised. Lastly, always remember to wipe away any spills... i notice that some pple just don't bother with that.

duffyduck
7th July 2008, 11:01 AM
Wooo.....Thanks ling! Will definitely try your method. =)

precious
7th July 2008, 08:52 PM
:) :) hi just to share, me buy those air freshener for fridge from Daiso. It works for me.:o

MISS LAZY
8th July 2008, 10:32 AM
HI Precious

huh? i have never heard of air freshener for fridge? is it safe or not?? how to use it? spray it like any normal air freshener? must take out all food before spraying?

bookworm
22nd July 2008, 11:33 AM
:eek: :eek:

cheap method;

1) tea leaves - open a packet of tea leaves, place it in a cup . smell will go away.

2) cut a piece of lemon into halves and leave it in the fridge.

:eek: :eek:

coke addict
22nd July 2008, 01:29 PM
hi bookworm, love your avatar. so cute.

your method so eco-friendly , so natural. i much prefer these method than using air freshener. ( no offence to precious :D )

witty cat
23rd July 2008, 07:36 PM
meow! meow!

no fish in the fridge - pass it to me - guarantee no smelly fridge.

Witty cat is intelligent - lick! lick!

little faith
24th July 2008, 10:42 AM
Yesterday , i watched channel 8 - think the show called Matron. every week, they featured household which is in need of heavy duty cleaning cos of a lot of accumulated dirt in various corners of the hse etc etc.

the cleaning expert was using squeezed lemon juice together with baking soda ( ya , baking soda ). and this combination works wonder.

like those black stuff in between the floor tiles. they used hot water to soak first then use the combination i mentioned above to scrub away ( scrubbed using toothbrush ).

they also put a cup of lemon juice with baking soda in a microwave oven and turn the oven on to rid it of unpleasant smell.

mcpqueen
30th July 2008, 06:19 PM
Best option is to change a fridge and you get rid of the old fridge and the bad smell.

precious
31st July 2008, 09:15 PM
hi bookworm, love your avatar. so cute.

your method so eco-friendly , so natural. i much prefer these method than using air freshener. ( no offence to precious :D )

:p it is more like the Thirsty Hippo that suck moisture in fridge thus rid of the smell... :D :D
For $2 item, it is cheap & good for me

myong406
18th December 2009, 12:11 PM
i've suffered the same problem. i googled and used this and guess what. . . it works! try it. here's the link.

wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Bad-Smells-in-Your-Fridge

kwee34
8th January 2010, 11:58 AM
for me, i simply leave no food uncovered. on top of that, i leave lime halves in certain areas of the fridge. including the freezer

evel
2nd February 2010, 08:03 AM
lime and lemon seems to be able to get rid of all kinds of bad odours.

lilzee
21st February 2010, 08:41 PM
Try using containers to store items that would smell and also try to clear expired food items regularly.. This helps! And left-over food should be covered when you want to place them into the fridge.

evel
12th March 2010, 11:16 AM
do you think it's a good idea to off the electricity and open the door to air it once a while.

lilzee
31st March 2010, 12:17 AM
do you think it's a good idea to off the electricity and open the door to air it once a while.

Hmm think u can try, but need to have another backup fridge to store all the items first! haha..

evel
31st March 2010, 08:33 AM
ha i think it's a good idea. usually my fridge don't store alot of food so do not need a backup fridge.

cookies
13th September 2010, 05:04 PM
Also can try putting in treated Charcoal. Lots of it.

nancyluk
15th September 2010, 11:55 PM
Hmm yea either put lemon or can put those 'hippo' brand freshener thing? Best is to clear all expired food and cans too!