PDA

View Full Version : Fixed vs Floating

McMuffin
22nd February 2007, 03:53 PM
Hi all, I might need a housing loan shortly but I cannot make up my mind on whether fixed or floating rate is better. Two cents anyone?

HalcyonVI
28th February 2007, 06:20 PM
Which is better really depends on your personal view on how interest rates are going to move and at what pace. Alternatively, stick to analysts' consensus, in which case, at least there's someone to blame if things go wrong :D

Another important consideration is the effect a rate hike is going to have on your monthly instalment. If an increase of 1% is going to mess up your lifestyle, you may want to consider fixing your interest rates.

McMuffin
12th March 2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks Hal for all the tips and helping me sort out my home loan. Much appreciated :)

Curry Chicken
4th April 2007, 06:01 PM
What about those combo part-fixed, part-floating packages?

HalcyonVI
5th April 2007, 08:22 PM
Combo packages are normally for:

1) Borrowers who prefer fixed rates (fixed rate packages currently all come with repayment penalties) but have the intention of repaying a significant part of the loan in the near future
2) Borrowers who cannot decide whether they want fixed or floating rates

A third reason specific to combo packages nowadays:

The floating portion of combo packages usually comes at a much bigger discount than normal floating rate packages. The blended interest rate (average of fixed and floating rates) can be more attractive than if you were to just take a fixed or floating rate package.