PDA

View Full Version : House Painting

coke addict
11th July 2008, 02:07 PM
hi all

i am new here. i need some advice on house painting.

i have been staying in my house for more than 20 yrs. the last time we had our house painted was about 10 yrs ago and the paint is peeling so it is time for us to repaint it.

saw ad before about this new type of paint, a ball hit on the wall, the owner of the house can easily wipe off the mark.

has anyone used this type of paint before? is it actually as good as the ad claims ?

cannot recall the brand of the paint. think it is Nippon.

little faith
11th July 2008, 02:18 PM
hi coke addict

i found nippon paint site for you, why not check it out to see if you can find that type of paint you are talking about.

The Home Look has list of painters. check out this one below - Mr Paint. perhaps your family might want to consider to hire a painter to do the house painting for you as doing it yourself is very tedious. the painter might be able to recommend you various brands and advise you the pros and cons etc etc : -

http://www.thehomelook.com/directory-list.php?sc=32

cookies
11th July 2008, 04:44 PM
hi all

i am new here. i need some advice on house painting.

i have been staying in my house for more than 20 yrs. the last time we had our house painted was about 10 yrs ago and the paint is peeling so it is time for us to repaint it.

saw ad before about this new type of paint, a ball hit on the wall, the owner of the house can easily wipe off the mark.

has anyone used this type of paint before? is it actually as good as the ad claims ?

cannot recall the brand of the paint. think it is Nippon.

coke addict, welcome to happy house, our happy house.

the brand you are talking about is nippon. you can check out their website as stated in little faith's message below.

earlier this year there was a thread talking about house painting as well. you might want to search for the thread under renovation and read up. many members shared their opinions. you might be able to pick up a few tips from there.

have fun painting.

happylalapo
11th July 2008, 05:19 PM
Hi coke addict,

there are different kind of paint that caters for different needs.

Interior/exterior

Interior paint - the type you looking for is i think what you call self cleaning paint- yes, indeed is "Nippon" when the wall is dirty you can just wipe it off - this paint is slightly more expensive.

If you plan to paint your house only once that will last for the next 10 years, than better you use the more expensive type. Unless you think in the next 3 years you will paint again, i believe you need not spend on good quality paint which can be 3 to 5 times cheaper.

For exterior you will definitely want to use weather bond paint.

:)

coke addict
14th July 2008, 10:39 AM
hi all

i am considering of doing stenciling myself. i cannot find any info on the net. do you guys know where to get those stuff for doing DIY stenciling ?

happylalapo
14th July 2008, 11:43 AM
i think you can find them at Art Friend - Takashimaya and bras basah

gloriajean
14th July 2008, 03:29 PM
hi all

i am considering of doing stenciling myself. i cannot find any info on the net. do you guys know where to get those stuff for doing DIY stenciling ?

years back, I've seen 1 stenciling shop at the basement of parkmall... dunno if they are still there.

In fact, most DIY stores carried some stenciling templates. Home-FIX is one. Spotlight also. Why dun u try to make up your own templates? just blow up any design to A4 or A3, photostat it. place it over a transparency or flat piece of thin plastic sheet, cut out the design... wa la... yr very own stenciling template. Buy a sponge and a wide flat palette... mix yr paint and sponge away!

Our Nation libraries have many stenciling books for loan. It's not complicated at all but it may be tiring if you want to stencil the whole room.

duffyduck
16th July 2008, 04:00 PM
why not do a simple mural painting? look at these - amazing!

http://cookiemag.typepad.com/magazine__nesting/images/2008/07/01/birdmural.jpg
http://cookiemag.typepad.com/magazine__nesting/images/2008/07/01/dandelion.jpg
http://cookiemag.typepad.com/magazine__nesting/images/2008/07/01/rachel_tree.jpg

don enemy
16th July 2008, 04:09 PM
hi duffyduck , you should change your nick to daftlyduck .....the photo of the wall painting you have shown is pretty complicated.. you call that simple ???? you must be real good with arts and crafts. me just got borderline grades when in school for arts.

witty cat
16th July 2008, 04:26 PM
meow! meow!

Be nice to put my claws on the wall.

witty cat is artistic :rolleyes: meow!