PDA

View Full Version : House warming gift???

soulfood
11th July 2008, 02:48 PM
Hi any suggestion for house warming gift? for a newly wed couple who just got their flat. they are yuppies around late 20s. my budget is around $80 max.

Thanks folks! ;)

coke addict
11th July 2008, 04:39 PM
hi soulfood

why not buy a bottle of wine ( around the budget you have ) and gift wrap it nicely.

yuppies couple should like it ( unless your friends do not drink )

happylalapo
11th July 2008, 05:23 PM
why not get them gift vouchers from Takashimaya.... maybe they can buy some electrical goods or curtlery something they need for their kitchen.:)

Babyrie
11th July 2008, 05:40 PM
How about essential oil burner like this one which i have at home?

Very nice ones are available at Naturalise (The Esplanade).

Can add fragrant to their home - very romantic for young couple.

don enemy
11th July 2008, 06:05 PM
hi babyrie

hee hee ..no offence. looking at the the incence burner , kind of give me a feeling like buring incence for our deceased ancestors.

the couple in question, if they are traditional, might not like it. some ppl are bantang ( superstitious ).

i think happylapopo's suggestion of giving shopping vouchers is very good. as they can buy whatever they want. we do not have to be afraid of getting gifts they do not like.

bookworm
11th July 2008, 06:17 PM
:eek: i think babyrie is refering to fragrant oil burner not incense burner :rolleyes:

:D wow! Don enemy you really making enemy everywhere :eek:

how about buy some books for the couple . so they can join me as bookworm

witty cat
13th July 2008, 04:35 PM
meow! meow!

get a cat ornament - meow! zhao chai mao

witty cat suggest meow! meow!

soulfood
14th July 2008, 10:31 AM
Wow...tks guys for the advices! Aromatherapy burner sounds nice... just worry if they are into this sort of stuff. personally i loved it. but there are folks tat just dun bother with such stuff... *sign** worse come worse, vouchers will nv go wrong.

I think getting gifts for others are so tiring... coz i'm not a gift person. but still I'll try my best to buy something they really like la.

duffyduck
14th July 2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Soulfood,

do you know the theme of their home? like wat's the decor like... modern contemporary, country, zen, etc? Can consider buying stuff tat goes with the theme. Or just simply ask them what they would like to have in their house.

I bought my fren an antique looking porcelain telephone coz her house is french country theme. She loved it so much! initiately i went to those antique shop... but it was like over $200plus! but later i bought a cheaper version at Mustafar center and at $80 (looks almost the same). hee hee!

evel
14th July 2008, 01:22 PM
hi soulfood,

why don't ask your friend directly. the worst thing is to get something when they don't need it or many others have given them the same thing. if not vouchers is the best. they will always find something to buy with the vouchers.

mcpqueen
14th July 2008, 04:57 PM
best choice is voucher will not be wrong

huey
14th July 2008, 05:33 PM
ikea got voucher or not? best ikea or courts lor. Tangs also quite good la

EILEEN LIU
15th July 2008, 10:16 AM
yesterday i went to IKEA window shopping after work. saw they have aroma candle in glass cups on sale. usual price ( think $3.95 or $3.90 ) -now selling at $1.90 , come in various fragances such as strawberry, lavender , ocean etc etc.

tot would be a good way to relax in my bedroom with the aroma of strawberry in the air. i had considered using aroma oil burner but dun want to spend so much money on it as have to buy the burner, buy the oil - think would costs as much as $30.00.

i was quite disappointed when i lighted up my strawberry aroma candle. ya i can smell a tinge of strawberry, when i put my nose almost to the rim. practically useless. well.. if there is a blackout, it would come in handy. the last black out i had experienced was about about 20 yrs ago ( thanks to our efficient govt, we have hardly have any black outs nowadays )

cookies
16th July 2008, 09:16 AM
eileenliu,

you have to be careful regarding these aroma candle thingy. don't burn them in an enclosed room. the fumes that came out from burning of the candle is not safe for the body. those from ikea, you smell without light it, the fragrance is good but once you lit it, all you could smell is just burning fumes.

if you really enjoy such aroma therphy thingy, do not be stingy, you have to be good ones as many in the market (those selling very cheap) can be harmful then giving you theraphy. just be really careful.

EILEEN LIU
16th July 2008, 10:17 AM
hi cookies,

thanks for your advice. whenever i am in my room, i closed my door as i do not want the sound of my tv to disturb my family members when they are resting. so i lighted that IKEA candle for about an hour in enclosed room. fortunately nothing happen. i smelt a bit of fume but like i say, only when i put my nose to the rim, do i smell the strawberry aroma.

vosiez
3rd February 2010, 03:33 PM
i got my friends (newlywed, for housewarming gift) a set of home fragrance frm BodyShop. it's very pretty comes in a box with reed diffuser, container jar n the fragrant oil of course. cost me abt $40 plus i think

or u can get them nice bedsheet n quilt cover set frm Aussino, they have nice designs. if u wanna spend more, get the highest thread count.. it's smoother to touch :)

if u want something more memorable but still practical, can also get wall decals tat they'll see everyday n think of u hehehe... but that's if u know their decorating taste. my sis got a few sets for her whole place frm ArtMango (online order), but deco taste is very personal lah. if u wannabe safe, can always stick to vouchers but they prolly wont remember liao after a while :)

cookies
4th February 2010, 02:14 PM
yar i agree vouchers will be best. cos scare buy something they don't use or don't like.

though some might say 'bo sim' but then better then getting the wrong thing right.

milooi
4th February 2010, 03:36 PM
another suggestion...i think a coffee table book like a photography collection is a unique idea...

cookies
5th February 2010, 10:53 AM
for me i won't like it lor. i'm not that kind that enjoy such things.

if not ask the new home owner what they require of cos maybe you can tell them your range of budget first lor. not sure it's it weird. if not get a set of classic cutleries i think no household will not like that.

cookchicken
21st June 2010, 03:29 PM
I just bought some wall stickers from online shop. Not bad! Most importantly, the price is good. Anyway, the shop has GSS sales now! LOL

cookies
22nd June 2010, 10:41 AM
i love wall decals. when i have my own house i will want to put alot of decals. hahahaha

cookies
23rd June 2010, 03:39 PM
U can make something more meaningful for your yuppies friend.
Fold-able glass rack. All the materials can be brought at Daiso.

s8vm632
22nd November 2011, 05:01 PM
How about we request your own buddy straight. the actual most detrimental point would be to obtain some thing once they do not require it or even many more possess provided all of them the same. otherwise discount vouchers is the greatest. they'll usually discover some thing to purchase using the discount vouchers.

happylalapo
30th November 2011, 12:06 AM
I think we should learn from our western counterpart.

Let's learn not to be shy about telling people what we need in our new house, provide a list of wants and let our friends pool together to buy if the item is too expensive or buy one that is within their budget.

That will be nice and you will not end up with things you do not need but stuff you want and will use in the house.

joanneong
3rd January 2012, 10:11 PM
I think we should learn from our western counterpart.

Let's learn not to be shy about telling people what we need in our new house, provide a list of wants and let our friends pool together to buy if the item is too expensive or buy one that is within their budget.

That will be nice and you will not end up with things you do not need but stuff you want and will use in the house.

Roughly how much of the cash voucher would be better as a gift?

JuJu
4th January 2012, 05:39 PM
the value depends on how close you are with the family. but i think at least $30 lor.

haree
10th February 2012, 10:40 PM
A stylish fan is recommended by me, this is why because mine girlfriend gifted me when I purchased my new flat. That's why I prefer it for you.

jamiyhaley
29th May 2012, 07:23 PM
Hi any suggestion for house warming gift? for a newly wed couple who just got their flat. they are yuppies around late 20s. my budget is around $80 max.

Thanks folks! ;)

I have several ideas for house warming gift like Bedsheets & Pillow Covers, Crafted Desktops, Crafted Tables, Cushion Covers, Door Hangings / Bandhanwar, Duvet Covers, Flower Vases. This all are best for house warming gift.

kaixin
12th June 2012, 12:20 PM
Spice rack organizer is a good gift I think! :)

Features:
Less than 4" of space
Holds 20 bottles each
Fits all standard bottles
Space saving solution
No installation required
More cabinet space

Besthihomedecor
15th June 2012, 05:49 PM
Buy somethinf they really need~:joyous:

AlizaHills
20th November 2012, 08:41 AM
A wedding portrait will make a great surprise especially they got a new place! It looks perfect on their wall for sure!

AlizaHills
10th December 2012, 10:23 AM
What about a wedding portrait? You said they are newly wed, so you can find or ask for the couple's wedding photo and use this as the subject for a big wedding portrait. They have their new flat, so that means they will be needing decorative items and a wedding portrait is a great display idea especially in their new living area! That's more meaningful and you will help them reminisce always the good thing about each other and the happy moments behind their wedding! Try to see great samples from the Internet of this kind of creative and customize artworks, include in your list the snappycanvas where my friend got their wedding portrait!

kaixin
10th December 2012, 01:05 PM
What about a wedding portrait? You said they are newly wed, so you can find or ask for the couple's wedding photo and use this as the subject for a big wedding portrait. They have their new flat, so that means they will be needing decorative items and a wedding portrait is a great display idea especially in their new living area! That's more meaningful and you will help them reminisce always the good thing about each other and the happy moments behind their wedding! Try to see great samples from the Internet of this kind of creative and customize artworks, include in your list the snappycanvas where my friend got their wedding portrait!

Totally agree! ;) Wedding portrait will be a perfect gift for newly wed couple.

AlizaHills
12th December 2012, 10:21 AM
Totally agree! ;) Wedding portrait will be a perfect gift for newly wed couple.

Thank you for agreeing kaixin! It's a great pleasure to help someone who needs advices!