PDA

View Full Version : Fresh vs Frozen Meat

Curry Chicken
30th December 2015, 05:27 PM
Just met a restaurateur and he was telling me that some frozen meat is fresher than fresh meat!! I always thought that fresh meat is fresher but sometimes buy frozen meat as it's much cheaper :rolleyes:

Is fresh meat really fresher?

briecheese44
31st December 2015, 10:09 AM
I suppose fresh meat is fresher. :o

Happy New Year to all! :cheerful:

McMuffin
4th January 2016, 10:03 PM
It's hard to say these days. Freezing technology is very sophisticated and can take place within a very short time frame after the animal is killed. In Singapore, since we hardly have any local produce, most fresh meat are sold to the food traders, have to be air-flown in, then distributed to the retail outlets. I think this process takes at least 2, 3 days so fresh meat here is likely 2, 3 days fresh.

If the meat is flash-frozen at source, straight after the animal is butchered, the freshness may be "preserved" at perhaps 2 hours-fresh. I understand that the freshness of flash-frozen meat degrades extremely slowly so frozen meat may be fresher than fresh meat. I don't know for a fact how fast frozen meat becomes unfresh though. Any food scientists out there?

bookworm
26th January 2016, 05:10 PM
I think frozen is better, why?

Most frozen produce is picked at peak season and then immediately frozen to retain nutrients and freshness. Fresh produce from faraway places, on the other hand, loses some of its nutrient value while traveling and then sitting on a shelf for days or longer.

Curry Chicken
13th February 2016, 08:45 PM
Thank you folks!