PDA

View Full Version : Mold mites and booklices

happylalapo
14th January 2016, 11:32 PM
I have been having problems with mold mites & booklices in my apartment. Anyone has any suggestion how I can get rid of them? :miserable:

hobuddy00
19th January 2016, 11:32 AM
I would suggest you get a pest control to solve your issues. :)

mewx
19th January 2016, 11:39 AM
Maintaining a balance between humidity and moisture in your house is very important. As if the house is very moist or very humid, the chances of mold mite growth increase.

lion
19th January 2016, 11:46 AM
Your house must have proper ventilation. Always keep your bathroom as dry as possible.

euphoria
19th January 2016, 11:50 AM
How about placing sticky traps around the suspected area? High chances you will get those booklice trapped as they do not fly.

happylalapo
20th January 2016, 10:01 AM
The pest control guy advised that there is a need for me to find the food source and to stop this from happening again I have to kill the source.

After investigating it appears that a leak that was resolved 2 months ago in my bathroom is where the source is. How?? Question - no more leak in my bathroom why still happening? Apparently according to my contractor, my upstairs neighbor bathroom has the leak although it is not leaking in my bathroom as my contractor has done a sealant/ proper grouting on my bathroom ceiling the leak on their side cannot come through, they need to resolve their leak on their end, else there will still be availability of food for the pest :(

In the meantime I am advised by my contractor while waiting for my neighbors upstairs to repair their leak, what I can do is to get a paint job done with anti-mold paint. Before that the painter will need to coat the affected walls and ceilings with a primer.

happylalapo
20th January 2016, 10:04 AM
Yes, never know this is that important till the pest appear.

Your house must have proper ventilation. Always keep your bathroom as dry as possible.

happylalapo
20th January 2016, 10:05 AM
I would suggest you get a pest control to solve your issues. :)

Done that Hobuddy :(

Pest control helps for couple of days and it is back. It is running me crazy.

happylalapo
20th January 2016, 10:06 AM
Very true. Not easy to maintain the humidity and moisture in this climate.

Maintaining a balance between humidity and moisture in your house is very important. As if the house is very moist or very humid, the chances of mold mite growth increase.

HalcyonVI
22nd January 2016, 12:57 PM
Faced this issue sometime ago. Pest control is not an effective solution as the effect is only temporary. If there is still mould/dampness in the house, the booklice will multiply again very quickly. Best way is to remove these mould mites' food source i.e. mould.

Two things that you can try:

1. Dehumidifiers to control your house's humidity. They have a limited range though so you may have to get a couple if the damp areas are spread out in your house.

2. Bleach the walls to kill all existing mould. Then apply a waterproof primer sealant and paint with anti-mould, anti-bacteria paint.

happylalapo
26th January 2016, 02:57 PM
Faced this issue sometime ago. Pest control is not an effective solution as the effect is only temporary. If there is still mould/dampness in the house, the booklice will multiply again very quickly. Best way is to remove these mould mites' food source i.e. mould.

Two things that you can try:

1. Dehumidifiers to control your house's humidity. They have a limited range though so you may have to get a couple if the damp areas are spread out in your house.

2. Bleach the walls to kill all existing mould. Then apply a waterproof primer sealant and paint with anti-mould, anti-bacteria paint.

Currently my contractor is doing the necessary work of applying waterproof primer sealant and repainting the entire house.

Will keep you guys updated on how things are ;)

sosnanny
25th May 2017, 11:13 AM
The waterproofing quality of the floor is very important and due to expansion and contraction of the flooring over time may result in damaging to the waterproofing. Just wonder should we water proof the bath room ceiling

JuliaBronson
5th January 2018, 06:07 PM
If you want a clean and safe environment of your home, go with the pest control option.

russellnoah52
15th January 2019, 09:17 PM
Then, the solution is only pest control and after that make sure that no hidden holes are buried anywhere.