PDA

View Full Version : What kind of food is good for Complexion?

JuJu
28th July 2008, 11:32 AM
anyone can share your beauty tips? what kind of food is good for complexion? i heard bird nest and 'xue ge' is good? what else?

soulfood
28th July 2008, 01:25 PM
Green tea is rich in antioxidants that reduce inflammation and protect cell membranes, it also reduces the damage of sunburns and overexposure to ultraviolet light, and reactivate dying skin cells

happylalapo
28th July 2008, 06:12 PM
non-oily food, fried food all is no no.

JuJu
29th July 2008, 01:35 PM
green tea is also good for slimming. if you replace water with drinking green tea gurantee slim down. but again please make sure you buy the good ones (prebably from oraganic shop) then those made in china brands.

non-oily food like what? what can help?

Curry Chicken
29th July 2008, 02:44 PM
Alamak, green tea from China is excellent stuff Juju!

little faith
30th July 2008, 10:24 AM
hi juju, i do not think green tea helps to lose weight. here is what i found when i was searching in the net if green tea has that effect. one guy wrote :

Does drinking oolong wulong wu-long yi-wu wu-yi or green tea make you loose weight?

Unless its the only food you eat,

NO, IT WONT MAKE YOU LOSE WEIGHT.

in my experience it does not, i did not lose any weight. and i drank alot of it everyday for 1 month. i just went pee alot more than usual. (i still drink alot of oolong, but its now between other cups of green, and black)

if i were to reduce calorie intake = eat less then i would lose weight, but drinking or not drinking the oolong ooshort wuwide green tea or anyother tea didnt change my weight.

There may be teas that have a diuretic effect (caffeine is diuretic, and part of tea leaf)- which means they will make you pee more water, which will seem like youre losing weight when in fact youre not.

There is that other thing about green tea being a “fat burner” which effect i did not experience, i still have the same fat in the same places. My wife used the green tea extract/concentrate for an extended period everyday, without change in diet, and she did not experience any fat changes. (i did not know she used it, she told me one day).

PS. avoid junk food “diets” : one week i started on a food binge: pizza, 1.75qt double churned icecream/day (just me), almost all the american type foods in the frozen section…apple pie with icecream on top… oh yumm…

after 1 week… i could not stop putting food in my mouth… it felt good to eat it… i missed it… (especially the icecream… i had another) …1 week gained more than 10 pounds. … (ah… bad for me: fast food binges are bad for your health.)

it was hell trying to return to my normal eating habits, had to clean out the fridge, and avoid fast food at work, and very hard to lose those extra pounds just by my (non)diet (took about 1-2 months for >10lbs).

===============================================

green tea is also good for slimming. if you replace water with drinking green tea gurantee slim down. but again please make sure you buy the good ones (prebably from oraganic shop) then those made in china brands.

little faith
30th July 2008, 10:27 AM
hi all

here is what i found from the net :

1. Eating foods that are rich in vitamin A is important in maintaining a healthy skin.

A daily dose of vitamin A is proven to be an effective way of reducing the appearance of acne, wrinkles, and other skin problems.

However, care must be properly observed when taking foods rich in vitamin A. Too much intake of this vitamin may result to serious problems like liver diseases.

2. Good nutrition replenishes the lost vitamins and minerals that the human body is not capable of producing.

When people are exposed to the sun the skin’s reservoir of vitamin C goes down, and unlike most animals, humans cannot make vitamin C.

Therefore, it is important to reproduce vitamin C by eating foods that re rich in vitamin C. In this way, the skin will be able to combat the harmful effects of the damages caused by the sun’s ultraviolet rays.

3. Eating foods rich in antioxidants is definitely good for the skin.

In order for the skin to work against the upshots of oxidants or the free radicals that are manufactured when the body cells burn oxygen in order to generate energy, it is important for the people to eat foods that are rich in antioxidants. These foods are the “green, leafy vegetables” like the spinach.

Antioxidants are also present in foods that are rich in carotenoids like beta-carotene. A good example of this is carrots.

It can also be present in food supplements such as vitamins E and C.

4. Eating foods rich in fiber can also contribute to good skin complexion.

Fiber, or roughage, is composed from the plant’s cell wall material. Whole grains, legumes, citrus fruits, nuts, and vegetables are all good sources of dietary fiber.

On its basic sense, fiber is an example of complex carbohydrate that is relatively essential in the absorption of the other nutrients into the body. Without fiber, some of the nutrients will only be put to waste and will not be consumed by the body.

Hence, with fiber, the skin’s complexion will be healthier looking and will even produce healthy glow.

5. For proper growth and production of new skin cells, proteins are the best sources in order to help in this process.

Proteins are chains of amino acids responsible for the skin’s cell growth and maintenance. Protein in foods from meat, poultry, fish, and dairy is called complete protein because it contains essential amino acids necessary for building and maintaining skin cells.

Thus, a properly maintained skin cell will result to a good skin complexion.

Indeed, eating right does not merely produce a healthy body but a healthy skin as well. Hence, people should be more aware of what they are eating because it will surely reflect on their skin’s appearance.

duffyduck
30th July 2008, 01:05 PM
Alamak, green tea from China is excellent stuff Juju!

Haha curry chicken, I think JuJu means those cheap version green tea tea bag that is sold in NTUC.

Green tea is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) - a powerful anti-oxidant: besides inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, it kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue. It has also been effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots.

Researchers also found that men who were given a combination of caffeine and green tea extract burned more calories than those given only caffeine or a placebo.

My suggestion is to try Nature’s Farm PYCNO Green Tea - rich in powerful, patented antioxidant – Pycnogenol. It claims to complement with other Antioxidants – Vitamin C & Vitamin E for greater protection against free radicals, at the same time combat UV damage, strengthen collagen & elasticity of the skin. But not cheap though. 1 bottle may cost around $2-3. I bought a few at their sales event for only $1 per bottle. hee...

huey
30th July 2008, 01:10 PM

Be careful, juju... green tea is very "cooling". for me if i drink more than a few cups. wow...tell you my legs will get cramps in the night. and muscle will ache until few days. if i drink it during my period, aiyo i'll get stomach cramps till i roll around the bed. dunno if anybody feels the same? :(

happylalapo
30th July 2008, 06:03 PM
eat more green vegetables too.

bookworm
30th July 2008, 06:28 PM
:eek: :eek:

tomato + carrot + apple juice

good for your complexion

:eek: :eek:

cookies
22nd August 2008, 08:54 AM
recently i started to eat vitamin e. my mom said it's good for complexion. so just started eating for 1 week liao but seems like my acne still come out leh. haiya don't understand why old liao then got this kind of problem. my skin was really good during my younger days.

slow learner
3rd November 2008, 11:20 PM
I learned that eating Strawberry and drinking Green Tea helps to reduce wrinkle.

cookies
28th February 2009, 08:53 AM
i think drinking more water is the best.

water seems to be able to help in all illness. don't you think so. every time you visit a doctor, they sure to said drink more water.

so don't ever under estimate the power of this colourless, tasteless, odourless substance

happylalapo
2nd March 2009, 11:27 PM
There is a saying " you are what you eat"

How true is this and how many of you agree with this saying?

I personally think it is pretty true to a certain extend - but i also think that our complexion is also genetically link - have you notice people with good complexion usually tendencies are their parents usually also have good complexion.

cookies
3rd March 2009, 11:58 AM
talking about genetic, i'm rather fair compared to my brother. my mom said that when she concieved me, she took alot of milk and tau huey and that explains my fair complexion and when she had my brother, she told alot of coffee and therefore my brother was rather dark.

i believed that when we are in our mother's womb, what they eat in somehow related to us. therefore pregnant moms, please watch your diet.

There is a saying " you are what you eat"

How true is this and how many of you agree with this saying?

I personally think it is pretty true to a certain extend - but i also think that our complexion is also genetically link - have you notice people with good complexion usually tendencies are their parents usually also have good complexion.

i agreed with happylalapo that we are what we eat. our health depends on our lifestyle and diet. treat yourself good and you will live good as well.

happylalapo
4th March 2009, 02:54 PM
My mother told me she eat alot of eggs and she thinks that is why i have nice big teeth ...... :) but unfortunately it also make it a little yellowish ...:(

ha! ha!

cookies
4th March 2009, 02:58 PM
hhahah then i think should just eat egg white lor so teeth can be white white. big teeth? shouldn't it be eating carrot rather then egg cos it's more like rabbit.