PDA

View Full Version : ping pong silver medalist

lion
26th August 2008, 10:00 AM
are you proud of our ping pong silver medalist?

so what is they won for the first time in 48 years, many have said. they are china born.

this makes me wonder, can't our birth and breed singaporean excel in sports as well?

sports is something i believed must be expose and groom since the tender age of 5 or 6 years old. but singapore kids at these age are expose to phonics, abbacus etc. which singaporean parents see the importance in developing sports potential in their kids.

even if the kid has potential in certain sports, it will be treated as leisure rather then developing it into a career. these are the mindsets of singaporean parents.

i see that our government has been putting in alot of efforts in trying to develop the local sports arena. they set up a sports school but i realised that the students there are all in their teenage. starting to develop only at the teenage years are too late. sports is something which you really need to start very young. see all the top sports person around the world, they all start at 10 years old etc.

in olympics, the potential years for a sports person in between the age of 16 to 30 years. how many 4 years chance does a sports person have. if they are not trained early how are they going to challenge the world best.

shouldn't the mindset of parents change before we see a truly singaporean wins in a olympic games.

now, please do not get me wrong. i'm not saying that the ping pong girls are 3 class citizen. i equally salute them for their hard work and effort. they have trained hard since very young and they deserved this.

i think it's time that singaporean should do something in order to be in the league.

the lion is pouring his heart on olympics

EILEEN LIU
3rd September 2008, 11:57 AM
i am glad the whole unpleasant saga over the Gao Ning issue is over.

Minister Vivian Balakrishnan really kept his promise to the nation that he will look into this and give us a satisfactory answer.

well , i almost satisified with the outcome except for one thing.

Gao Ning told the reporters that he has spent more than half his time be a sparring partner to the women table tennis players. he felt unjustice on that aspect as well as he is hired to be a table tennis player and not be a sparring partner to the women.

so far the authorities seems to not have made any response to Gao's accusation on this point.

he also said he is neglected, training by himself most of the time.

i hope the Table Tennis Asso will from now on, give equal attention to both the women and the men team.

just like you cannot practice favourtism on your children, our national table tennis players should be accorded the same respect and attention regardless of their gender or past results.

Babyrie
4th September 2008, 07:07 PM
Yes, I am proud of this acheivement.

Although the players are born of China, they are no longer China Citizen and they are now Singaporean.

It is like I bought a winning ticket for my friend, I cannot take back the winning ticket and claim that it is mine for the keeping.

So they are rightfully Singaporean liao... Congratulation to Singapore for the acheivement.

Hurray! Singapore!

cookies
5th September 2008, 05:23 PM
2 days ago i was filming for a channel 5 program, one of the talent we used was a 14 year old boy. i found out that he was already doing a diploma in theater studies which i was shock. a boy at his age should be doing his secondary studies. i surprise that his parents allows him to persue his interest than getting a basic secondary school education which all parents does.

i agree with lion on having to expose our children to arts and sports earlier, it's only when you start at an early age then you see the full potential. i'm sure this young boy will have a promising future ahead. i hope to see more of such 'open minded' parents.

duffyduck
16th September 2008, 03:01 PM
I'm proud of them! http://www.laymark.com/i/m/m159.gif

lion
17th September 2008, 11:42 AM
talk about acheivements on olympics, i really proud of yip pin xiu for getting a gold medal in the paralympics. this is then really a worthy acheivements.

kudos to pin xiu, way to go girl.

lion raising his head high.....