PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelves

happylalapo
23rd September 2008, 06:34 PM
Need some ideas on bookshelves? Any one has anything to recommend.

Should I get a carpenter to do built in bookshelves for me or shall I buy off the market?

Views anyone.

ling
24th September 2008, 11:25 AM
Hi, what kind of bookshelves do you have in mind? I bought mine mostly at Ikea as their bookshelves are really cheap and nice in design. They have 1 design that stands as a bookshelf when it's erected vertically but can become a tv console/shelf when it's placed horizonally - very flexible.

don enemy
24th September 2008, 03:20 PM
but i have heard that IKEA stuff, once you have constructed it, better don't move it cos it will fall apart. not lasting.

cookies
25th September 2008, 08:57 AM
Need some ideas on bookshelves? Any one has anything to recommend.

Should I get a carpenter to do built in bookshelves for me or shall I buy off the market?

Views anyone.

are you game for DIY. i think you probably would. if so, you can get the wooden bookshelves from ikea and paint the whole rack yourselves.

i disagree with don enemy about ikea stuff not durable. my furniture in my house are main from ikea and i have using that for 8 years, no problem at all. cheap and good.

happylalapo
25th September 2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks,

I was thinking of a teak wood bookshelves at first than I got myself confuse and wanted to get built in cause some friends says it save space.

The bookshelves I saw and really like cost about $2500, that is really expensive and the built in one also cost about the same price.

Ikea, humm never thought of going to check that out. I shall go and take a look there - will check their quality.

I guess, it is not a bad thing if things only last for a couple of years right, than I can change new one and redocorate the house again.

I am someone who likes to move things around and have new stuff. :)

duffyduck
25th September 2008, 11:02 AM
hmm... personally i dun think all ikea stuff are low in quality. There are some quite sturdy ones that can last you at least 2-3 yrs. It really depend on the design n materials. Happylalapo, teak is a really tough and lasting material, that's why they are expensive too. If you are the kind that like to change stuff in a few yrs time, go for cheaper option. Nowadays, lots of shelves come with lamination that imitate teak texture quite well.

bookworm
25th September 2008, 07:29 PM
:eek: :eek:

Bookshelves, favourite subject of mine.

I simply love books.

Have closed bookshelves - than dust will not get into your books.
A built in Bookshelves is the best option and mind you, you can design the various heights to fit books of various sizes.

:eek: :eek: some insight for your thoughts.

forever tired
28th September 2008, 03:48 PM
books are sometimes part of the house decor. give the impression of a scholarly environment.

having a close bookshelf - like lost the decorative effect ( not that i am saying books are decorative accessories and not for reading ! )

Babyrie
30th September 2008, 05:16 PM
Happylalapo

Some pictures sample for you to refer.

Maybe will be easier for your decision making.

Ah Boy
30th September 2008, 05:20 PM
baby you got bigger images?!

Babyrie
3rd October 2008, 04:07 PM
Sorry boy ... let me try to figure out how to make my picture bigger.