View Full Version : overflow drain

9th October 2008, 06:03 PM
recently the drain in my master bedroom starts to overflow. initially i thought was choke because of hair and asked a plumber to come but he told me overflow because of cement. he suspected that the contractor pour the cement into the drain. he can't do anything and advised me to get a contractor to fix the problem. haiyo very suay lor. any advise if i can DIY the problem?

little faith
10th October 2008, 09:42 AM
irng, you are not a professional in this matter, better heed the advice of a plumber and get a contractor to take a look at the choke.

10th October 2008, 03:21 PM
aiyo littlefaith your advise have like don't have leh. i'm don't really want to spend big $ on this that's why thinking if i can solve this myself. If really no choice, last option is to get contractor lor.

thanks anyway....

12th October 2008, 12:46 PM

your plumber is not too good. his advise may be right but he should beable to resolve the problem for you rather than ask you to go get the contractor, is he not a contractor!!

Plumber usually have special equipment to clear chokages. Surprise!! Let me know if you need a good plumber to resolve that i can PM you the contact .

Oh by the way you can try checking out the DIY shop, maybe there have the chemical you need for the job.

13th October 2008, 08:39 AM
happylalapo, thanks for advises, yar i shared the same sentiment, i thought it's shouldn't be so complicated that we need to engage a contractor. i will check out the DIY shop, if it still does not work will get plumber's contact from you.

8th January 2010, 11:49 AM
Use a plumbing snake. A plumbing snake or auger is a long, flexible metal tube that's pushed through the drain until it reaches the clog, and then pushes through whatever is jamming the pipe. You can buy plumbing augurs for do-it-yourself unclogging when the pipe close to the fixture is plugged. Some snakes can be attached to electric drills to give them more power; others are manual, with the snake on one end and a handle and crank on the other. The snake is pushed into the drain from the sink, tub, toilet or other fixture, until it reaches the clog. At that point, you can use the crank to dislodge whatever is jammed into the pipe. The end of the augur will either push through the obstruction, tear it up with its twisting action, or become attached to it so it can be pulled up through the drain.

8th January 2010, 04:14 PM
you don't want to hire just anyone who claims to be a drain specialist. you do need someone who understands the basics of plumbing, drains and pipes. Plumbing can be tricky, and old pipes can be punched through with a toothpick; you need someone who understands what can go wrong with them. Also, running a snake requires a certain amount of finesse, as drains invariably contain turns and angles, weak spots, rises and falls that determine which way the pipe goes as it makes its way from your home to the sewer or septic tank.

11th January 2010, 11:48 AM
i remember that day when i had clogged pipes. my whole kitchen was flooded. was pumping away using a plunger. didnt work at all. used a wire-like device and managed to unclog the pipe. i think that is the 'snake' that u all are talking about. so i think, u dont really need a plumber but just have the willingness to get down and dirty :)