PDA

View Full Version : stains and odour on fabric sofa

evel
9th December 2008, 10:49 AM
thinking of getting a fabric sofa i saw recently but worry what if stained how? can anyone advise how to prevent or remove stains and odour as well from fabric sofa.

duffyduck
10th December 2008, 09:56 AM
just to share my 2 cents worth.... when I 1st bought my fabric sofa... the sales person advised me to spray Scotch's fabric protector over it... and do so every few months...the spray will make it kinda water-proof...so when you spill liquid over, it won't absorb so fast and you'll have time to wipe it off. Scotch also hv pretty gd stain removal for fabric. But my opinion is always get something that can be taken out and wash.

evel
10th December 2008, 04:58 PM
so far does the scotch thingy works? but these days the sofa covers cannot be remove leh. those can remove ones are outdated liao. thinking of fabric versus leather but leather ones very expensive. those pvc type tear easily. difficult leh.

happylalapo
10th December 2008, 06:14 PM
I love fabric chairs, I think they makes the home really cosy and warm.

If you have dogs or children - I advise against getting fabric chairs. Even if you can take out the cover and wash- problem is putting it back after washing- some fabric shrink. Although may still fit but you will need lots of strength to put back to cover.

In my previous 2 houses, I have fabric chair - I am really crazy - every 1 or 2 months than , I will remove the cover and wash it.

But the right way to wash fabric chair is to get the professional to come in and dry clean the chair on the spot. They will spray some kind of chemical on it and iron dry on the spot.

I now have half leather beige colour chair - it turn out good. especially easy to maintain.

So even if you really like fabric chair for practical reason you may compromise and have leather or half leather.

evel
11th December 2008, 08:29 AM
yar that's y concern, not easy to maintain, my getting married soon and thinking to be kids soon as well worry about maintanence and i got no maid, all household chores going to fall on me. my husband is in the events line and work weird hours, difficult to ask him help in houswork.

happylalapo, you mentioned about leather, my bro got leather but tears after awhile. i think at the end of the day it's still about how we take care right. will think about that, thanks for all the input.

duffyduck
11th December 2008, 03:05 PM
so far does the scotch thingy works? but these days the sofa covers cannot be remove leh. those can remove ones are outdated liao. thinking of fabric versus leather but leather ones very expensive. those pvc type tear easily. difficult leh.

scotch works quite ok for me. I think those that can be removed are still more ideal. Most of Ikea's fabric sofa can be changed and they look really nice to me. whether is leather or pvc or fabric all need some kind of maintenance. There must be a balanced between practicality and aesthetic. especially if you are like me...no extra time and energy to maintain stuff and no money to constantly change 'em. hahaha

Curry Chicken
19th December 2008, 05:21 PM
I think there is a number of those magic sprays - spray spray a bit and the stain disappears :D By the way, I also think that those removable covers are trendier. Let's do a poll!

evel
26th February 2009, 02:22 PM
my parent's house using those wooden chairs like those antique chairs but with a think cushion. that is easy to maintain but i don't like cos find that it's not comportable. my brother house is using leather, but after few years the leather tear and some corners and it's turn dirty

danovel
26th May 2009, 12:05 PM
It is more of a personal preference whether one should go for fabric sofa or leather, each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Either leather or fabric, care must be taken to ensure its durability. And of course quality starts right from the beginning, of which where you bought your product. Leather ranges from imitation leather to genuine full grain leather. Even among those who sells genuine full grain leather there are of varying qualities as well. How the manufacturers do the tanning of the leather do affect the end product quality.

Infact leather is live and requires more maintanance than fabric. Its a skin, therefore moisturising is a must, just like how you take care of your own complexion. Leather if well used and maintained will give you a very nice aged look and shouldnt peel.

Coming back to Fabric sofas. Lesser maintanence is required. The only few things you must do is that depending on the fabric type there are special ways to clean them. Natural Fibre and Man made Fibre might require different cleaning methodologies.

Always ask the salesman to advice you on how to clean your sofa and also what type of fabric is used to make it.

And if you are afraid of spillage, sotchguard your sofa once every few years. It can save you a lot of trouble of dry cleaning as you could quickly clean up the spillage without having the drink to seep into the fibres so fast. It might prevent a stain if you are quick enough.

With Fabric Sofas, its not outdated to use slipcovers. A beautifully done sofa with slip cover will look as if it was a fixed cover!

Lastly with Fabric Sofas, the fabric quality is crucial as well, just like leather quality. Good quality fabrics will have its orginal colour preserved even with years of usage, of course i could recomend the better ones but will not guarantee 100%. It also depends on how u use the sofa too.

Hope this helps.

*Opps... Missed this out... Dont forget the framework of a sofa! A sofa with a well constructed frame using good materials would last 10++ years minimum. With Fabric Sofa it is easier to reupholster as compared to leather. Dont be shocked at the cost to reupholster a leather sofa, each hide purchased to reupholster it might cost as much as a new leather sofa. Due to economies of scale.

Marcus

Danovel Pte Ltd - The Handcrafted Fabric Sofa
www.danovel.com

duffyduck
29th May 2009, 11:23 AM
bravo Marcus... that's insightful! I agree when buying sofa... the sales person's advice matters alot as they are supposed to be the expert. Good advice will help the customers to get something right for their purpose. but shame on those who become pushy becoz they want to clear stock or close deals!

evel
29th May 2009, 04:26 PM
that was truly a good advice. i think i'm still going to get my fabric sofa. i like to warm and cosy feel. will check with the sales person on maintenance.

routristan
31st December 2009, 11:23 AM
for stubborn stains, try the bleach pen. quite effective. not so hard on the colour of the fabric but tough on stains

evel
15th March 2010, 10:35 AM
bleach pen? interesting... from where?