PDA

View Full Version : what are the pros and cons of selling your own property

eileenlim
5th February 2009, 11:20 AM
many of us has issues with our property agents. some of my friends suggest that why don't we handle the property ourselves and we can save on the commission to the agent. any one has experience on this and what are the pros and cons.

Ah Boy
5th February 2009, 06:48 PM
I think the main thing is the hassle of having to spend time to market the property and not having the network to sell your property fast fast and at the bestest price. But many agents also only promise you that but don't deliver the goods so it really depends :confused:

eileenlim
6th February 2009, 09:22 AM
if the cons are just time issue, then i rather market it myself, better control and save cost

happylalapo
6th February 2009, 03:10 PM
I personally will chose not to market my own property as i find negotiation hard to do myself.

I also will feel uneasy being around the house when someone come and see the property.

eileenlim
6th February 2009, 03:29 PM
is it becuase you don't like people to comment about your house. i heard some owners are like that

happylalapo
9th February 2009, 11:27 AM
Not that, I feel very uncomfortable to have stranger walking in my house.

I will rather have the agent show the house and I am not at home.

witty cat
10th February 2009, 05:37 PM
meow! meow!

I will never allow anyone to sell my property when me the cat is not at home.

I will sell the flat myself, no one is to walk around my house without me around.

Who can sell my flat better than me.

Witty cat is proud will not entertain agent !! meow! meow!

eileenlim
11th February 2009, 10:13 AM
i agree with witty. i will not allow agents to bring buyers to my house without me around. i need to also qualify the buyer to make sure that they are reasonably nice people. also be involve in the negotiation cos sometimes agents tend to over promise without approval from both parties and this may result in unnessary dispute.

slow learner
11th February 2009, 11:59 AM
eileen

I do not think there is a need to see if the buyers are nice people - not matchmaking here la.

No offence.:)

eileenlim
12th February 2009, 08:48 AM
that's because i love my neighbours and i want to ensure they will still have nice neighbours even i left.

Ah Boy
17th February 2009, 05:50 PM
that's because i love my neighbours and i want to ensure they will still have nice neighbours even i left.

Oh boy, you could get a lower offer if you screen buyers like that... sacrificing money for the sake of your neighbours. Wa, you're almost up there with Mother Teresa liao :D

eileenlim
4th March 2009, 11:13 AM
i don't think i will get a lower offer. by screening the buyers, i can also ensure that the buyers are responsible people. some buyers are jerks. i just try to be safe in anyways.

Curry Chicken
4th March 2009, 06:22 PM
You'll likely get a lower offer in this market eileen. It's now a buyer's market and offers are hard to come by.

anit
27th April 2009, 08:30 AM
is there some sort of seminar or website that i can check out to learn about selling my own property?

anit
6th May 2009, 11:06 AM
i was always told not to believe agent's advice and make our own judgement and decision, if this is the case do we still need an agent?

eileenlim
8th May 2009, 01:34 PM
that's why the topic is here is to discuss the pros and cons of selling your own property... aiyo....

anit
26th June 2009, 08:38 AM
someone shared with me that it's better to get an agent to sell your flat but to buy you can do without an agent.

the reason so is because you don't have to entertain all the incoming enquiries when you placed an advertisement. taking these enquiries can be tedious and many times the calls are made by other agents.

whereas buying a flat, you just has to read the papers called and arrange appt not so much of hassel.

i think it's kind of logic here.

eileenlim
30th July 2009, 09:02 AM
but buying is tedious too what? you need to do alot of research like the recent transactions, nearby ameneties check etc...

anit
1st August 2009, 10:48 AM
true also. all i could say is that be involve in the procedure too. rather then just leaving everything to the agent, find out things on your own too. as you have heard many cases where agents mis-represent, so at the end of the day, it's better to know your stuff as the amount of investment is not small, better be busy then sorry.

irng
15th August 2009, 08:48 AM
i agree with anit. better to be busy then sorry. i have heard so many cases of agents cheating or misrepresentation. it's important to be really involved and fully understand the procedure.

eileenlim
18th August 2009, 08:59 AM
now that the percentage of commission can be negotiated, doesn't it make it more difficult for the agent to fight for a good comm?

anit
31st August 2009, 03:45 PM
that's why some agents resort to funny methods to make you give them the commission. basically when ERA decided remove the fix commission scheme, i believed they hope to raise the service standard of agents so that deserving agents will get more comm but i think this will not work as it might backfire and make agent thinks of scheming ways to get more.

i heard case where agent make you signed on a empty commission form with a verbal agreement on certain % but turned out that they dishonour it and increase the %. such are just eg

eileenlim
4th September 2009, 08:52 AM
to each his own. everyone is trying to make money. i would say if you meet one then just your luck lor.

irng
10th September 2009, 05:11 PM
to each his own. everyone is trying to make money. i would say if you meet one then just your luck lor.

anyway, agents are just tools to help you in your paperwork, legwork and negotiation. at the end of the day, make a decision based on your own research.

anit
14th September 2009, 10:02 AM
anyway, agents are just tools to help you in your paperwork, legwork and negotiation. at the end of the day, make a decision based on your own research.

anyway i feel that the 1% comm is abit too much to pay. i have not been a gent before and i really don't know how hard they work to deserve this 1%.

eileenlim
17th September 2009, 08:30 AM
anyway i feel that the 1% comm is abit too much to pay. i have not been a gent before and i really don't know how hard they work to deserve this 1%.

aiyo anit, give them a break lar. everyone is working hard for their rice bowl.

irng
9th October 2009, 09:43 AM
aiyo anit, give them a break lar. everyone is working hard for their rice bowl.

talking about the agent's comm, is that such a thing that the agent can say. it's company ruling that the fee is 2% flat. since now that it is negotiable.

myong406
9th October 2009, 11:05 AM
i think the agents who mention commission in dealings with clients are those who want to be transparent and want to gain trust.

sometimes it is necessary to keep it 'hush' just in case the client look like one of those selfish ones. commission, i feel, is just a way of saying thanks to the agents for helping out to settle the deal.

cookies
9th October 2009, 12:11 PM
i think the agents who mention commission in dealings with clients are those who want to be transparent and want to gain trust.

sometimes it is necessary to keep it 'hush' just in case the client look like one of those selfish ones. commission, i feel, is just a way of saying thanks to the agents for helping out to settle the deal.

so is like giving an ang bao to appreciate them lar. if this is the case any amount is can lar. hahhhaaa

myong406
9th October 2009, 01:21 PM
hahah. . . ang bao la. but cannot be so stingy. must give good impression then next time they will make things a lot easier for us

cookies
9th October 2009, 02:12 PM
hahah. . . ang bao la. but cannot be so stingy. must give good impression then next time they will make things a lot easier for us

haiya how often to we buy and sell house. next time change another agent liao loh.

myong406
9th October 2009, 02:33 PM
hahah. . true la cookies.

just want to be nice only le. no harm what. but like anit say... 1% a bit too much also.

irng
12th October 2009, 08:50 AM
recently, i heard from my friend that she was charged 2% comm for a property. but the thing is that she only signed the sell comm form but not for purchase but agent said it's compulsory and understood.

now she asked me how. i heard that as long as you don't sign on the form there is nothing they can claim.

is that true.

anit
15th October 2009, 09:06 AM
recently, i heard from my friend that she was charged 2% comm for a property. but the thing is that she only signed the sell comm form but not for purchase but agent said it's compulsory and understood.

now she asked me how. i heard that as long as you don't sign on the form there is nothing they can claim.

is that true.

i think you have nothing to worry about. as long as you did not sign i think there is no cause for alarm.