PDA

View Full Version : buying a car

happylalapo
23rd March 2009, 01:03 AM
Have been thinking of buying a car ..... any great idea anyone, with budget of $45k, should I buy a new car or a second hand car?

How about financing, should i go for financing - is it a good idea to take some or forget about it and pay cash for the car and save your self from having the car loan????

hazel
23rd March 2009, 09:55 AM
well happylalapo,

i'm a driver myself. i did not ask myself questions when i bought my first car and i was slap with difficulties of financing it.

1. why do you need a car, is it for convenience or necessity?
2. when i bought my 3rd car, i was really questioning myself, do i really need a car? the reason so is because the public transport system in singapore is rather advance though i can't deny it's expensive. moreover, being a woman, i find that often we have the priviledge of being chauffeur around by male friends.
3. since you have cash to pay in full, why not, it really save you the hassel of worrying the financing. however, based on my understanding, if you are not taking loan, you will lose out certain negotiation power with the car agent, but to me that is not really important.
4. frankly speaking, though i think my driving skills are rather ok (been driving for 8 year now) but somehow, i still can't help but worry the car break down on the road. this has happen to me many times but it can be rather scary (depending on the problem of your car). are you someone who will freak out in things like this?

above are just some of my personal thoughts.

slow learner
23rd March 2009, 08:58 PM
i will rather not buy a car, unless you are in a sales job that requires to travel around.

Why not consider renting a car?

happylalapo
23rd March 2009, 09:10 PM
Hey, thanks Hazel.

My friend ask me to get a Kia, it is cheap car.

I am pretty terrible I want cheap, good and big.... ha! Ha!

Still searching..... my dream car is a merc .... but how to afford one ? so have to stop having such big dreams liao.

Babyrie
28th March 2009, 12:23 AM
Do consider practicality of the car?

How often do you use the car? Will it be a white elephant?

Petrol consumption? If you travel alot, a hybric car is recommended.

Ah Boy
1st April 2009, 06:30 PM
Aiya want cheap good and big then confirm second hand liao. 45K can get you a nice "vintage" merc what.

hazel
4th August 2009, 11:08 AM
getting a vintage car will give you problem like share parts and maintenance. i believed the insurance are more expensive too. i'm driving a kia picanto. practical and not too expensive but if you always need to ferry alot of people then it's not practical cos it will strain the car.

nickycboy
17th December 2009, 11:33 AM
cars are better to buy 1st hand. doesnt matter if its a cheap car... just as long as its maintained well and doesnt consume petrol at a high rate. a toyota does well but 45k too small a budget.

if u can, get a motor bike. its economical but not without disadvantages. there are issues about the rain and road safety

fwong93
18th December 2009, 11:14 AM
in terms of reliability, the Japanese brands are still the ones that got the highest scores, proof that the imports are alway more reliable. Out of the 47 cars that were predicted, 39 are from japanese makers. The most are from Honda and Toyota.

Ford Fusion cars scored pretty good in Consumer Reports' annual new car reliability survey, The best in the industry's quality standard-bearers, the Honda Accord V6 and Toyota Camry V6 got highest scores.

happylalapo
19th December 2009, 12:41 AM
I do not agree with nickcboy on buying first hand.

buying a second hand car is definitely good value, as car depreciation are highest during the first few years.

kwee34
21st December 2009, 10:45 AM
I do not agree with nickcboy on buying first hand.

buying a second hand car is definitely good value, as car depreciation are highest during the first few years.

u got it right with the depreciation but i would still buy a 1st hand car. i dont know why... guess im just paranoid

Ah Boy
21st December 2009, 12:36 PM
Aiya, human nature to like new things lor! New car, new house, new clothes, new gf...think better but not always better ;)

milooi
22nd December 2009, 10:32 AM
Aiya, human nature to like new things lor! New car, new house, new clothes, new gf...think better but not always better ;)

lol... thats very true. new things dont mean that they will necessarily be better. these people will learn it the hard way when they realise that old is gold :D

vincehu564
31st December 2009, 10:28 AM
hey car buyers... there's a new release by KIA. its a called KIA - Koup. looks fantastic. have a look at it. if it gives all that it promises, it should be the economical sports car to buy

milooi
31st December 2009, 10:49 AM
hey car buyers... there's a new release by KIA. its a called KIA - Koup. looks fantastic. have a look at it. if it gives all that it promises, it should be the economical sports car to buy

Thats a nice ride man! any idea how much this is? on hindsight, u cant be sure how well a KIA can perform... doubting the possibility of a great car

fwong93
8th January 2010, 11:27 AM
By purchasing a used car, you can save a lot of money. A new car depreciates quickly in the first few years and after 3 years, it is worth only about 60-70% of the original price. In fact, as soon as you leave the dealership, your new vehicle is suddenly worth $1000-$2000 less. When purchasing a new car you basically are paying for its fresh "new" aroma and warranty. Yet, buying a new car does not always mean the buyer will get perfection. A new car may come with problems associated with poor design or manufacturing defects that may have been already repaired during the warranty coverage period if it's a used car. The same is true for all kinds of recalls and service campaigns. Another advantage of buying a used car is that you could buy a loaded model with all the bells and whistles that you might not be able to afford had you bought a new car.

However, buying a used car is still a bit of a gamble - there is no guarantee that the car is accident-free, has real mileage, and was properly maintained. There may be some hidden problems like a worn out automatic transmission, or engine problems that may not have been obvious when you test-drove the car.

routristan
8th January 2010, 04:12 PM
Don't buy based on what you've been told because it may not always be the truth. Check out the car yourself very carefully. Ask a knowledgeable person who knows about cars to help you.

kwee34
11th January 2010, 11:00 AM
Don't buy based on what you've been told because it may not always be the truth. Check out the car yourself very carefully. Ask a knowledgeable person who knows about cars to help you.

i agree with this totally.

hazel
12th January 2010, 08:08 AM
i agree with this totally.

i now thinking of changing my car after driving it for 3 years but i think i will lose alot of money if i change not. my agent calculated for me before i need about 5 - 6 years before even it can break even.

haiya, bored with my car liao.

milooi
12th January 2010, 11:11 AM
i now thinking of changing my car after driving it for 3 years but i think i will lose alot of money if i change not. my agent calculated for me before i need about 5 - 6 years before even it can break even.

haiya, bored with my car liao.

what car are u currently driving? whats the mileage like?

hazel
13th January 2010, 09:21 AM
i'm driving a kia picanto. miledge about 50km only.

routristan
19th January 2010, 04:18 PM
i'm driving a kia picanto. miledge about 50km only.

the kia picanto will surely fetch a very low resale value. even though the mileage is pretty low, its pretty hard to sell it. maybe a brand new driver who just passed his test may want it. try looking for those. btw, how much did u pay for the picanto when u 1st bought it?

hazel
1st February 2010, 03:17 PM
i bought it at $38900 on 2006 nov.