PDA

View Full Version : mosquitoe problem

hazel
25th August 2009, 11:59 AM
my uncle house has been having this serious mosquitoe problem. he has been looking thru at all the possible breeding grounds but can't find any mosquitoe breeding. suspect could be the neighbours but not sure which. as the daugther is sitting for PSLE this year, he is worried.

what can he do then?

precious
26th August 2009, 02:24 PM
use plugin mozzie-repellent in rooms (use ultrasonic sound etc)
Me use that for my bb room. very useful.

myong406
14th December 2009, 11:42 AM
i've seen some mosquito traps being sold at DIY stores. they explain the concept about how mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and they use that gas to keep them away from humans. quite a fantastic device if you ask me

fwong93
14th December 2009, 01:49 PM
i've seen some mosquito traps being sold at DIY stores. they explain the concept about how mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and they use that gas to keep them away from humans. quite a fantastic device if you ask me

i actually saw this before. looks like a bbq pit. but not sure if its ideal for flats/apartments. its great tool but quite costly. if im not wrong, it comes with a dvd to teach u how to terminate the mosquitoes. thats the dvd that they play at the DIY stores.

milooi
15th December 2009, 11:00 AM
i dont think that this device will work for a normal HDB flat unless u have a balcony. even then i may seem a little impractical due to space constraints. i personally feel that the mosquito trap looks awful too.

nickycboy
22nd December 2009, 12:38 PM
Here are some tips to fight off the mosquitoes on a budget :)

Mosquito breeding around the home can be reduced significantly by reducing the amount of standing water available for mosquito breeding.

Dispose of tin cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots or similar water-holding containers that have accumulated on your property. Do not overlook containers that have become overgrown by aquatic vegetation.

Drill holes in the bottom of recycling containers that are left out of doors. Drainage holes that are located on the sides collect enough water for mosquitoes to breed in.

Turn over plastic wading pools when not in use. A wading pool becomes a mosquito producer if it is not used on a regular basis.

Aerate ornamental pools or stock them with fish. Water gardens are fashionable but become major mosquito producers if they are allowed to stagnate.

Use landscaping to eliminate standing water that collects on your property. Mosquitoes will develop in any puddle that lasts more than 4 days.

myong406
11th January 2010, 10:49 AM
Here are some tips to fight off the mosquitoes on a budget :)

Mosquito breeding around the home can be reduced significantly by reducing the amount of standing water available for mosquito breeding.

Dispose of tin cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots or similar water-holding containers that have accumulated on your property. Do not overlook containers that have become overgrown by aquatic vegetation.

Drill holes in the bottom of recycling containers that are left out of doors. Drainage holes that are located on the sides collect enough water for mosquitoes to breed in.

Turn over plastic wading pools when not in use. A wading pool becomes a mosquito producer if it is not used on a regular basis.

Aerate ornamental pools or stock them with fish. Water gardens are fashionable but become major mosquito producers if they are allowed to stagnate.

Use landscaping to eliminate standing water that collects on your property. Mosquitoes will develop in any puddle that lasts more than 4 days.

those are some really good tips. after i saw the price of the mosquito traps in the stores, i think i'll choose the budget method now. thanks!

hazel
11th January 2010, 12:38 PM
use plugin mozzie-repellent in rooms (use ultrasonic sound etc)
Me use that for my bb room. very useful.

i think this seems more partically leh.

routristan
11th January 2010, 03:13 PM
my neighbour just got fined for breeding mosquitoes. she had no idea that they were breeding but installed some mosquito repellent. in the end, it didnt matter because the mosquitoes' presence was her fault. must do the 'mozzy' check at least once a week. dont wanna end up paying a fine for no good reason.

lilzee
21st February 2010, 08:33 PM
I think the best way for my family to prevent mosquitoes is install the mosquito mat on all the windows in the house... This works for us so far:)

hazel
22nd February 2010, 08:00 AM
are you refering to net or mat? if net, those net on the windows sure does not look good lor.

nickycboy
22nd February 2010, 05:49 PM
How about trying a more natural way? i heard mosquitoes can't stand marigold, catnip and rosemary...hehehe

hazel
23rd February 2010, 07:55 AM
oh are these flowers? really. ok ok can try. thanks.

easy-fix
15th November 2011, 10:51 AM
you could install a mosquito / insect screen to keep out the pest. I'm selling a DIY Magnetic Insect Screen Kit. It is for self installing to keep the cost low.....

Now with ready stock.....

http://www.matthewteo.com/treo/mis8.jpg

hazel
28th November 2011, 05:18 PM
how much? the mosquitoes don't get stuck there right? just prevent from flying in but won't kill right?

easy-fix
28th November 2011, 06:17 PM
how much? the mosquitoes don't get stuck there right? just prevent from flying in but won't kill right?

S$39 for 4 ft x 4 ft / S$59 for 6 ft x 4 ft. No, mosquitoes don't get stuck. This is more for prevention.

Matt

hazel
29th November 2011, 10:03 AM
it's not too expensive.

anyone has used this before can feedback?

easy-fix
7th December 2011, 11:59 AM
Found a contractor who can provide installation service, please contact Mr Quek @ 90459669. For cost of installation, please deal directly with him.

http://www.matthewteo.com/treo/mis9.jpg

hazel
7th December 2011, 04:04 PM
oh i tot was DIY. still need to get an installer?

easy-fix
8th December 2011, 12:04 AM
oh i tot was DIY. still need to get an installer?

This is for those who called to enquire about installation service.

hazel
8th December 2011, 04:46 PM
oh ok, if can DIY why still need installer :confused:

EileenWee
22nd December 2011, 12:04 PM
This is for those who called to enquire about installation service.

Its very irritating to have those mozzies disturbing our sweet dream. But mozzie repplent coil is too smoky when sleeping. elctrical had this 'zap'sound when the mozzie is caught. any natural remedies for this Mozzie Prob?

hazel
22nd December 2011, 02:20 PM
try those recommended by easy-fix lor

wendychia
29th February 2012, 02:49 PM
If your house got smoker i don't think there will be mosquitoe..

davidraju
30th July 2012, 02:27 PM
Aerosol sprays can be used in the house but be sure to follow all precautions listed on the label of the container. Outdoor areas are more difficult to treat. Foliage sprays on shrubs where mosquitoes rest can be used. There are mosquito coils and candles and area repellents that are spread on the ground but these measures are good only for a short time. mosquito traps are another way to protect you from mosquitoes outdoors. all these are some steps for you to control them.

stevejones99
28th May 2014, 05:54 PM
use plugin mozzie-repellent in rooms