PDA

View Full Version : Go Green at Home

anit
29th August 2009, 12:06 PM
any suggestions on going green at home?

vincehu564
9th November 2009, 02:40 PM
Don’t buy expensive chemical cleaners. Use baking soda instead. it’s great for scrubbing bathroom surfaces. Need to clean the windows or any mirrors in the house? Why not use white vinegar and water mixed together. It will do a great job and instead of using kitchen towel, use a newspaper. (Just make sure everyone has finished reading it first)

myong406
10th November 2009, 01:55 PM
Here's my idea to go green in the home. Recycle everything possible. Glass, metal, plastic, paper, cardboard (don’t forget junk mail) and more. And participate in special item recycling days, such as for paints or electronics.

come on people. . . add your idea here and lets save the planet together =)

anit
11th November 2009, 01:40 PM
Here's my idea to go green in the home. Recycle everything possible. Glass, metal, plastic, paper, cardboard (don’t forget junk mail) and more. And participate in special item recycling days, such as for paints or electronics.

come on people. . . add your idea here and lets save the planet together =)

oh all the wonderful suggestions. these are really things that i don't know. baking soda, vinegar etc. good good...

myong406
11th November 2009, 03:18 PM
Hey people... there's more ways to go green at home. check this out =)

Consider using compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs). They cost a bit more than regular bulbs, but you'll lower your electric bill and pay less in the long run. CFLs last up to 10 times longer than traditional ones. You can buy CFLs at most hardware and home stores. To save more on lighting, install dimmer switches and use timers, indoors and out.

vincehu564
12th November 2009, 11:45 AM
Use cloth for everything. Paper should not be an option. My mother used cloth (or just water) for everything, including cleaning, diapers and blankets. Old towels and saris were soft and made perfect blankets. Floors were cleaned with a wet cloth dipped in a bucket of water (with just a little disinfectant). No waste, paper or harmful chemicals to worry about.

milooi
12th November 2009, 06:08 PM
Growing up, i had very little trash at home since i almost always reused everything. i reused clothes, toys, books, plastic bags – pretty much everything i had. Even the fruit peels and older food was picked up to feed the neighbour's dog the next day.

And today, I do my best to reuse, give away, donate or recycle everything at home. Giving gently-used toys away to a child in the neighborhood helps me get rid of the stuff AND starts friendships. :)

ashmakton
13th November 2009, 01:47 PM
As inflation rises so does the cost of groceries, especially meat. The livestock industry and meat processing has proven to be a major contributor to environmental waste. Instead of a steady meat diet, why not try bean curd, beans and nuts as protein alternatives? Though it may prove difficult at first, we can teach children at an early age the importance of a well-balanced diet. =)

hoclara
16th November 2009, 11:15 AM
wow!

i like this topic. very useful. cant wait for more posts :) save the planet!

anit
17th November 2009, 08:42 AM
Growing up, i had very little trash at home since i almost always reused everything. i reused clothes, toys, books, plastic bags – pretty much everything i had. Even the fruit peels and older food was picked up to feed the neighbour's dog the next day.

And today, I do my best to reuse, give away, donate or recycle everything at home. Giving gently-used toys away to a child in the neighborhood helps me get rid of the stuff AND starts friendships. :)

feed the neighbour's dog with overnight food. not too good bah. :D

milooi
17th November 2009, 11:22 AM
i agree anit... not so good to feed the dog overnight food. may not apply to all for that option. but u shld see my neighbours dog. that doggy is one-of-a-kind. it can and will eat absolutely anything to satiate its hunger. best thing is, it still remains healthy :) very cute

anit
18th November 2009, 08:53 AM
i agree anit... not so good to feed the dog overnight food. may not apply to all for that option. but u shld see my neighbours dog. that doggy is one-of-a-kind. it can and will eat absolutely anything to satiate its hunger. best thing is, it still remains healthy :) very cute

ha ok, not definitely not a good suggestions for recycling.

recently, my bf and i wants to do a kite. any suggestions what kind of material can we use to do that. actually, we went to art friends to buy paper, cane and fishing tread, but what else can we add on using recyling materials.

milooi
18th November 2009, 11:22 AM
wow! sounds like fun. lets see, u can use old cardboard boxes, or any other boxes, satay sticks, wrapping paper from gifts given to you, plastic/paper bags, postcards, etc. the list goes on :) look around the house for old stuff that u dont use anymore. im sure there's something u can find to add to the kite. have fun!

anit
19th November 2009, 08:45 AM
wow! sounds like fun. lets see, u can use old cardboard boxes, or any other boxes, satay sticks, wrapping paper from gifts given to you, plastic/paper bags, postcards, etc. the list goes on :) look around the house for old stuff that u dont use anymore. im sure there's something u can find to add to the kite. have fun!

that's the problem with me. i can't seems to be able to find anything that is recycable at home until you list some of them. i think i'm not those that can go green.

also taking into consider the material used for kite needs to be light weight or else it can't fly. not sure lar, let's try our first kite attempt.

milooi
19th November 2009, 10:58 AM
good luck with the kite. if possible, upload a pic of the completed kite. quite curious to see the final product :)

anit
20th November 2009, 08:32 AM
have not start working on it yet though bought the materials. hopefully it works. will try to upload it when done. hehehhe...

milooi
20th November 2009, 11:05 AM
cant wait to see the result =)

in the meantime, here's another tip to go green. it is estimated that flushing makes up 30 percent of a household’s water use. Placing a brick in your toilet tank will help to conserve the amount of water used during each flush. water is precious, save it =)

routristan
23rd November 2009, 04:35 PM
Unplug appliances when you're not using them. Or, use a "smart" power strip that senses when appliances are off and cuts "phantom" or "vampire" energy use.

cookies
24th November 2009, 08:43 AM
i stay in a 3-room flat and my PUB bills is about $180 a month. i thought that was quite expensive for a 3 bedder. there is 3 of us at home, 2 units of aircon are turned on at night.

routristan
24th November 2009, 10:11 AM
cookies,

switching from the air-con to a fan will save u lots. other contributing factors could be the computers. how many u have at home? i live a 5-room with 4 persons and bill never gets more than 120.

cookies
24th November 2009, 01:42 PM
wah 5 bedrooms and only $120. how you maintain that? i only have 1 com at home and it's hardly turn on. i usually turned my aircon for like 4 hours then change to fan but that does not help to save alot. the other will be TV, we have 4 TVs at home though there is only 3 of us. my TV is turned on when i'm home. each time maximum of 2 TVs cos we all have the habit of watching from bedroom even though we might be watching the same program.

routristan
24th November 2009, 02:50 PM
according to what u said, your bill shouldnt be that high. i actually leave my home computer turned on 24/7 and i think my electricity usage is generally more than yours. im still surprised that ur bill is 180. my mum, sometimes, watches the TV till late and falls asleep while its still turned on. so my bill shld be higher than yours. u shld check with your neighbours or something. mayb there's a problem with the meter readings

cookies
25th November 2009, 12:22 PM
will it be possible to have wrong reading? i contribute the usage to my old aircon. they said old aircon high power consumption. not sure leh. ask my dad to change he said still working change for what

routristan
25th November 2009, 04:18 PM
the old aircon has to be a big player in your large bill. tell your dad that it can save you hundreds in the long run, then mayb he'll consider changing. also, dont rule out the fact that the meter reading could be wrong. do check that out too

cookies
26th November 2009, 10:59 AM
how to check? call PUB?

routristan
26th November 2009, 02:47 PM
ya... calling them is probably your best bet. but 1st, check with your neighbours 1st. ask them if they have similar issues.

Curry Chicken
30th November 2009, 12:58 AM
Hey people... there's more ways to go green at home. check this out =)

Consider using compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs). They cost a bit more than regular bulbs, but you'll lower your electric bill and pay less in the long run. CFLs last up to 10 times longer than traditional ones. You can buy CFLs at most hardware and home stores. To save more on lighting, install dimmer switches and use timers, indoors and out.

What about those mega man bulbs? A friend told me that they are energy saving. Anyone knows?

myong406
30th November 2009, 10:55 AM
never heard of the mega man bulbs. is 'mega man' the brand or a particular type of bulb?

cookies
30th November 2009, 12:12 PM
never heard of the mega man bulbs. is 'mega man' the brand or a particular type of bulb?

hahahah.... i seems more like the brand. :D

myong406
3rd December 2009, 10:35 AM
hahahah.... i seems more like the brand. :D

lol! feel like a complete idiot now. never seen that brand before though. anyways, more green green tips everyone. lets continue to help to save the planet

anit
3rd December 2009, 01:39 PM
good luck with the kite. if possible, upload a pic of the completed kite. quite curious to see the final product :)

finally start working on my kite last weekend but have not fly it yet. i find that it looks really ugly hahahah so thinking of putting up some colour frills but have not buy the material yet.

it looks like the shape of a fish but not sure if it can take flight.

milooi
3rd December 2009, 03:20 PM
finally start working on my kite last weekend but have not fly it yet. i find that it looks really ugly hahahah so thinking of putting up some colour frills but have not buy the material yet.

it looks like the shape of a fish but not sure if it can take flight.

wow... cant wait to see it. the weather has been pretty bad these days for kite flying. it looks like a fish? hmmm... test it out with the fan at home or something. see if its flyable.

nickycboy
4th December 2009, 11:14 AM
very nice thread here. this could go on forever i think. anyway, here's a tip of my own.

Pay your bills online. If every house in singapore did this then we would save 2 million trees every year =)

something i got off the web but useful i think.

fwong93
10th December 2009, 05:18 PM
good tip nicky. what i do is pretty simple though. when printing at home, i make sure i print on both sides. that means i got to pause the printing to switch the side of the paper before resuming the print job. a little time consuming but worthwhile to save a planet. a little goes a long way

anit
11th December 2009, 12:26 PM
very nice thread here. this could go on forever i think. anyway, here's a tip of my own.

Pay your bills online. If every house in singapore did this then we would save 2 million trees every year =)

something i got off the web but useful i think.

yar i agree but i don;t know leh, i pay online but i prefer to receive the bills on mail as i don't usually pay on the spot, i will usually accumulate all my bills and pay them at end month. if thru email, i might not be able to keep track.

at the end of the day i think it's all of proper management which i think i'm lack of

nickycboy
11th December 2009, 02:37 PM
yar i agree but i don;t know leh, i pay online but i prefer to receive the bills on mail as i don't usually pay on the spot, i will usually accumulate all my bills and pay them at end month. if thru email, i might not be able to keep track.

at the end of the day i think it's all of proper management which i think i'm lack of

if im not wrong, the bill u get in the mail is just a soft copy version of what u get in the mailbox. can also keep in your email inbox and accumulate till end of the month too. give it a shot. i think u can do it :)

myong406
14th December 2009, 11:49 AM
Seeing that the holiday season is here, let me give some tips to go green for the holidays.

Use live greenery as decor. Rosemary, thyme and sage are all evergreen, wonderfully fragrant and can be used to season recipes all year long. Other fragrant herbs include basil, chamomile, lavender and mint. And small, living evergreen trees can be later planted for year-round beauty.

myong406
24th December 2009, 10:32 AM
come on Home Lookers! keep this thread alive. our world needs our help :p

nickycboy
31st December 2009, 10:43 AM
Wash clothes in cold water whenever possible. As much as 85 percent of the energy used to machine-wash clothes goes to heating the water.

routristan
31st December 2009, 11:21 AM
If you eat meat, add one meatless meal a week. Meat costs a lot at the store-and it's even more expensive when you consider the related environmental and health costs. but if you're vegetarian. . . thats great!

nickycboy
6th January 2010, 11:05 AM
Clothes made from organic cotton and recycled materials may sound better for the planet but making clothes, packaging clothes and shipping clothes takes energy – precious and non-renewable energy. Your best bet for green clothing is the same as your mother used to use, hand-me-downs. Or in this day and age, second-hand, thrift or consigned clothing. By buying used clothing you are recycling, reusing and reducing all at the same time. What could be better for the planet.

fwong93
8th January 2010, 11:31 AM
Bring a reusable water bottle, preferably aluminum rather than plastic, with you when traveling or at work.

milooi
11th January 2010, 12:11 PM
Living green is better for our planet. Going green increases the chance that our children and grandchildren will have a clean and healthy world to live in. Going green is a great lesson to teach your kids. No more guilt over the eco-irresponsible things you know that you’re doing

fwong93
22nd January 2010, 11:00 AM
Why not opt for a reusable, heavy-weight, natural cotton bag that is generous in size, machine-washable and won't shrink out of shape? And you don't have to choose between practical and chic any more. check out the array of colors and designs that won't fade after repeated washing.

vosiez
3rd February 2010, 03:43 PM
i read somewhere a rarely heard green tip... if u keep a jar of coins at home, use it up! coz if everybody keeps them at home, that's that many coins that cannot be used in circulation. so more n more coins need to be produced, which uses up energy n raw materials that could've been better utilized elsewhere.

or better still just give away ur coins to someone who needs it more than u do :)

vincehu564
10th February 2010, 02:10 PM
Hahaha...That's quite interesting vosiez, definitely unheard of. :) As for myself, i use recycled water bottles all the time, but make sure you don't use it for too long, cos the plastic may be dangerous after awhile. :)

anit
11th February 2010, 07:59 AM
wow i'm really amazed by all the tips and efforts that you guys put in to go green and this makes me guilty. i must really put in some green efforts in my life.