PDA

View Full Version : mattress choice

fwong93
10th November 2009, 11:18 AM
looking to buy a mattress for my home. there are so many brands/types of bedding out there. if i already have a bed frame and i want a pocketed spring mattress, what brands to consider that is good value?

myong406
10th November 2009, 12:06 PM
let me share with you my experience of choosing a mattress. a few years back, i bought a slumberland 3 ft mattress. it was near to $1000. it is quite expensive for a 3 ft mattress. however, it had loads of pocketed springs in it.

there are cheaper ones, but the number of pocketed springs inside the mattress are lesser. its got dustmines resistantance, 10 years warranty etc. the 3 ft mattress is hard which is good for an aching back, but too hard due the extra support given by the large number of pocketed springs.

previously, my queen size bed is dunlopillo. it was not a pocketed spring mattress and hence, not so hard. in the end, i eventually bought a $300 king koil brand queen size mattress. if the mattress you currently using serves u well, try buying the same brand, same size, and same hardness. then u will hv no regrets.

vincehu564
10th November 2009, 03:20 PM
What I did 2 months ago was to visit Courts and Metro and physically tried out practically all the mattresses they have. I set a budget of S$1k to narrow down the number of choices. In the end i took a Dunlopillo. Personally I will recommend King Koil, Dunlopillo, Sea Horse, Four Star and Slumberland, in that order. I do believe that there's a mattress center or something around (saw from TV advert), you may wanna check it out.

ashmakton
11th November 2009, 11:40 AM
now im using a fourstar detense bed. i really love it. everytime after a hard days work, lying down on it, immediately makes me feel so relaxed and easily puts me to sleep. very comfy. my detense is the lower end version, bought it abt $625 / queen size . pretty good i would say. no pocketed spring though.

cookies
12th November 2009, 09:59 AM
now im using a fourstar detense bed. i really love it. everytime after a hard days work, lying down on it, immediately makes me feel so relaxed and easily puts me to sleep. very comfy. my detense is the lower end version, bought it abt $625 / queen size . pretty good i would say. no pocketed spring though.

ha this is new to me, i never buy a matress before. it's always been settled by my mom. the one i'm using now is queen size and i think it's not any of those brands that you guys mentioned but it has been with me for i think at least 10 years and is still working well for me.

ashmakton
12th November 2009, 11:13 AM
mattresses usually last pretty long, unless you exert yourself on the bed often :P i used to have a sofa bed that had a very hard partition in the center. so i had to sleep on either side of the bed. sometimes i would toss and turn in the nite and end up sleeping on the partition itself. the result, a massive back ache the next morning. im so glad thats all over now

fwong93
13th November 2009, 03:51 PM
thx all for helping me with this issue. i have decided to get a king koil mattress. one with pocketed springs, for ultimate comfort :)

vincehu564
16th November 2009, 04:37 PM
I feel that pocketed springs are pretty important. The effects dont show during the first few yrs of use, but after a few more yrs i think the durability of a pocketed spring mattress is much higher compared to non pocketed spring ones.

my old non pocketed spring mattress does not retain its shape after a few yrs of use. I have since changed to a pocketed spring mattress and it has given me great support. the sides of the mattress does not sag down either

cookies
17th November 2009, 11:43 AM
I feel that pocketed springs are pretty important. The effects dont show during the first few yrs of use, but after a few more yrs i think the durability of a pocketed spring mattress is much higher compared to non pocketed spring ones.

my old non pocketed spring mattress does not retain its shape after a few yrs of use. I have since changed to a pocketed spring mattress and it has given me great support. the sides of the mattress does not sag down either

good sleep is ulimate important. and i agree pocketed spring is gold. i have a pillow that cost me $180 cos i have this constant neck and shoulder ache and i realised it's caused by by pillow. i used to sleep in those down feather but it's too soft and no support for my neck so i turned to using this pillow which don't lost it's shape which it has resolved my aching problem.

some money you need to spent means you need it. cannot escape and for your own good.

myong406
17th November 2009, 02:44 PM
I have tried alot of pillows and concluded that the best is the Omazz one, but its expensive. The worst is the Sealys snore reduction pillow because it tilts your head backwards in an uncomfortable position. Did not like the feel of the Tempur one personally (Since so many ppl swear by it, i think it's good), Tried the cheaper Dunlopillo and Stylemaster latex pillow, although they are all latex, they just dont feel as good as the omazz one. The Simmons one with spring one felt weird to me, maybe im not used to it.

I used to need a high pillow before, but after I changed to a good mattress, I discovered that I didn't need a high pillow, I can even do without a pillow now. So I think the mattress also plays an important part.

cookies
18th November 2009, 12:24 PM
I have tried alot of pillows and concluded that the best is the Omazz one, but its expensive. The worst is the Sealys snore reduction pillow because it tilts your head backwards in an uncomfortable position. Did not like the feel of the Tempur one personally (Since so many ppl swear by it, i think it's good), Tried the cheaper Dunlopillo and Stylemaster latex pillow, although they are all latex, they just dont feel as good as the omazz one. The Simmons one with spring one felt weird to me, maybe im not used to it.

I used to need a high pillow before, but after I changed to a good mattress, I discovered that I didn't need a high pillow, I can even do without a pillow now. So I think the mattress also plays an important part.

wah sleep with pillow, so it isn't like what you said about the sealys pillio having to tilt you head backwards unless you sleep by the sides most of the time.

myong406
18th November 2009, 12:58 PM
wah sleep with pillow, so it isn't like what you said about the sealys pillio having to tilt you head backwards unless you sleep by the sides most of the time.

i guess you're rite abt the sealy's pillow. a good mattress will solve that problem for sure

milooi
19th November 2009, 11:09 AM
highly recommend a Simmons mattress. got a King sized one and never looked back. after 6 years and im still using that. plus, there are no faults with it. just have to change the dust mites protection every year...

really worth the money

routristan
19th November 2009, 11:49 AM
Can someone advise me on roughly how much a simmons beautyrest - king size with pillowtop cost? Just want to get a rough idea.

Thanks!

cookies
20th November 2009, 09:15 AM
highly recommend a Simmons mattress. got a King sized one and never looked back. after 6 years and im still using that. plus, there are no faults with it. just have to change the dust mites protection every year...

really worth the money

that cost you how much? $7k, $8K?

milooi
20th November 2009, 10:54 AM
not that much cookies. i'll never spend that much on a mattress. bought it for abt 3k. quite high too but really worth it i think

cookies
20th November 2009, 01:36 PM
oh ok i thought a good matress can easily cost that much. $3k is quite ok especially if you can use it for about 10 years.

milooi
20th November 2009, 05:53 PM
:) now at least i got one person on my side who thinks that the bed is worth it. my mum still nags about how she thinks i spent way too much on that bed

Curry Chicken
30th November 2009, 01:20 AM
I'm surprised that there are no fans of memory foam here. Good old NASA space tech actually works quite well on my body. Anyway, for pillows or mattresses, it's best to test it! Don't be embarassed to sleep on it for half an hour at the store and find out what's best for you!

myong406
30th November 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm surprised that there are no fans of memory foam here. Good old NASA space tech actually works quite well on my body. Anyway, for pillows or mattresses, it's best to test it! Don't be embarassed to sleep on it for half an hour at the store and find out what's best for you!

lol! i'll go check it out. i'll go sleep there for half an hour. better if the store is empty too =)