PDA

View Full Version : Efficient Storage Of Books In Bedroom

routristan
15th December 2009, 03:16 PM
I have a problem. I have many books and reading materials accumulated from my courses, which easily fills up 20 empty A4 printing paper boxes. Currently, I'm using some old boxes of different sizes and colours, and so my room looks like a storeroom.I'm thinking of organising this mess and making the room look cleaner.

Given the size of my room my first thought was to get a storage bed, and shove all those boxes under my bed frame to maximize the use of the empty space beneath my bed, which probably will not be used anyway, and to reduce the number of storage cabinets or racks required. But according to feng shui, it's a taboo thing to do. So I have to keep the space unused. :(

A second problem is finding proper furnitures to store these 20 boxes of books/documents/papers. I already have 2 book cases from IKEA, which are overloaded and the panels bent in the centre for some. To provide storage for these 20 boxes, I would probably need at least 2 half-height (waist level) storage cabinets or 1 full height. Also, how do I design a storage system that is modular, cost effective and suitable for bedroom?

ashmakton
15th December 2009, 04:42 PM
I am also having the same problem as you.
Had been trying to plan book-shelving, wardrobe & bed in my room.
I have also seen a number of book shelves and always wary of those with thin shelves. Only one that I have seen with thicker book shelves were those for the office range from Vhive. But, pricing wise compared to the normal bookshelves, almost 50% more. Then, comparing them with those from Ikea, these sturdier units are much pricier.
Still looking around, and thinking hard.
Maybe, a book-shelf is just a book shelf and not for storing much heavier items. Like I was told by a wardrobe salesman when I commented that the shelves were too thin and not sturdy enough, he said that wardrobes are not for storing heavy items on the shelves.

kwee34
16th December 2009, 02:16 PM
here are another 2 ideas :

1. sell some of your books away

2. give the books away

As for your course notes, why not try scanning them and digitize them , then recycle the paper

ashmakton
16th December 2009, 02:58 PM
I agree with the suggestion to dispose some of your books. I was in a similar predicament some years back, accumulating all my course materials as well as Chinese and English novels. Then I slowly sold and gave those away until it becomes manageable. I learnt how to let go, since I don't think I'll be using them anyway.

:) I still got some notes from my secondary school right to uni.

vincehu564
18th December 2009, 11:59 AM
I was in a similar predicament some years back, accumulating all my course materials as well as Chinese and English novels. Then I slowly sold and gave those away until it becomes manageable. I learnt how to let go, since I don't think I'll be using them anyway.