PDA

View Full Version : Junk Mail

routristan
4th January 2010, 12:07 PM
I would like to draw attention to the trend in which flyers, newsletters and advertisements are "delivered" to our doorstep.

We live in a Housing Development Board (HDB) flat and we appreciate the service, but it is more of an annoyance than assistance for. First, is the issue of cleanliness.

Our entrance is messed up with such mailers stuck in the grille of the gate and strewn on the floor. We end up cleaning our corridor so often, the town council might want to consider reducing our monthly service and conservancy charges charges!

Second, is the safety issue. Our unit is in a fairly isolated area. When we go away for a few days, the flyers pile up at our door — a signal to a would-be burglar.

Can the town council or HDB do anything about this?

kwee34
4th January 2010, 02:28 PM
The town council might want to consider putting up an advertisement board beside the current notice board in all void decks. Any companies which want to place their flyers or advertisements can rent a space. They will save on the cost of printing useless flyers while safety will be addressed. This might work

myong406
5th January 2010, 11:16 AM
the area in the metal grille is not under common area. town council shldn't intrude owner's ppty anyway. if they can throw the flyers for the owners, is that mean they can take the newspaper that delivery to the owner door as well? beside how would the cleaners know which of the flyers the owners want or don't want?

if the owner is away for few days, he can juz alert the town council to remove the flyers

routristan
5th January 2010, 02:31 PM
Recently I went away on a holiday and took great pains to camouflage my absence by stopping my newspaper delivery; carting my outdoor plants to my parents' home; and even installing a timer to activate my lights and radio at home at designated times to give the impression that someone was at home.

Imagine my exasperation when I returned home to find a pile of flyers on my gate as well as strewn all over my doorstep.

The biggest irony came in the form of a recycling bag from the Town Council — the very people who have been highlighting the recent spate of burglaries in the neighbourhood and who have been constantly impressing on us the importance of home safety.

While I applaud the national efforts at recycling, I thought the Town Council should have known better than to plant the seeds of temptation in potential burglars.

I certainly hope the relevant authorities will work together to address these issues that concern the safety of our homes as well as our person.

kwee34
6th January 2010, 10:36 AM
i leave my letter box in the "open" mode for any possible flyers but i still get those leaflets on my door grille. Did they bother to check which unit's letter box is available and drop it in the box instead of the grille? of cos not. they will just drop in at the door. i see that it really is a sign to indicate no one is at home. This isn't very advisable as new estates tend to have younger couples working late and partying late. We also dun wanna trouble our neighbours to clear rubbish for us when we go for trips.

routristan
6th January 2010, 01:55 PM
maybe we can just open all the mailboxes at the void deck, or cut a slot in the main door to allow flyers and such be slot into the hse. so this would prevent pile up i guess

myong406
7th January 2010, 11:49 AM
i guess many cant be bothered even to lift up their hands, pick up the flyers, and throw it into their rubbish chute or bins within their home. To them even doing this is way too much trouble.

So write in to complain and complain, not realising that so much trouble has gone into the individual efforts to come up with the flyer's design, pay for the printing, pay for the delivery of the flyers to the doorstep etc.

irng
8th January 2010, 09:39 AM
i think you all very difficult to please.

why hdb locked up the letter box last time because home owners complaint that too many junk mails in their mail box.

now that they locked, we complaint junks in our doors. how to please like that.

as for companies that drop junk mails, they are just trying to solicit for business. give these people a break.

vincehu564
8th January 2010, 10:45 AM
i think you all very difficult to please.

why hdb locked up the letter box last time because home owners complaint that too many junk mails in their mail box.

now that they locked, we complaint junks in our doors. how to please like that.

as for companies that drop junk mails, they are just trying to solicit for business. give these people a break.

i sympathise with u. i guess we as neighbours shld just look out for one another when it comes to a pile up at the doors when we're away. im quite sure the whole floor will not be on holiday at the very same time. so in a nutshell, just help each other out and let those business solicit their business. u never know when u may actually use their services.

khelzy09
19th January 2010, 02:00 PM
i sympathise with u. i guess we as neighbours shld just look out for one another when it comes to a pile up at the doors when we're away. im quite sure the whole floor will not be on holiday at the very same time. so in a nutshell, just help each other out and let those business solicit their business. u never know when u may actually use their services.

i agree with vince and irng..
they're just doing their job..
i know that those junk mails are very annoying and irritating..
as what vince said "we as neighbours should just look out for one another when it comes to a pile up at the doors when we're away."

fwong93
19th January 2010, 02:17 PM
i agree with vince and irng..
they're just doing their job..
i know that those junk mails are very annoying and irritating..
as what vince said "we as neighbours should just look out for one another when it comes to a pile up at the doors when we're away."

good to know that there are many like-minded folks out there. i feel the same way too, after giving it some thought. its not an impossible problem to solve

irng
8th February 2010, 10:48 AM

yar lar, like that every body happy mah....