PDA

View Full Version : DIY Furniture

anit
18th October 2010, 10:21 AM
is it more cost effective to DIY your own furniture taking into consider of material cost and time?

valeriewalton
12th October 2011, 03:36 PM
It depends well if you have a certain knowledge to do it why not do it yourself to enable you to save more but if you barely don't know anything it would be much better to just call a professional to do it for you.

wendychia
21st February 2012, 04:20 PM
It depends well if you have a certain knowledge to do it why not do it yourself to enable you to save more but if you barely don't know anything it would be much better to just call a professional to do it for you.

Agree with you! Better to look for a professional to do it for u.. it can save your time..

LucyLinSmith
29th March 2014, 02:37 PM
DIY furniture,you can create simple pieces of decor with little cost.

albertwilliam
1st July 2014, 08:01 PM
Wood is the most common materials to make furniture so choose that one.

Khloe
9th December 2014, 01:30 PM

I strongly agree on this. DIY is cost effective if you have knowledge on what you are doing. But it could be expensive if you don't know what you are doing. It will be a waste of time, efforts and most especially resources.

beerandchicken
10th December 2014, 09:38 AM
I think it requires on alot of patience to DIY something. If you do not have the flair of DIY for furniture (like me), perhaps buying the furniture would be an easier option!

carmenjames
21st March 2015, 05:39 PM
As a world-class penny pincher, I’ve found that stock cabinets are the key to low-cost, good-quality DIY furniture. I get handsome, sturdy, real-wood furniture for the cost of assemble-it-yourself pieces sold at discount stores. And the advantages go way beyond saving money. Cabinets make furniture building incredibly quick and easy by eliminating the difficult, fussy process of building and hanging doors.

Finding cabinets
Used cabinets from remodeling jobs are my first choice for furniture projects (they’re free!). I also like damaged cabinets from the local salvage store (cheap!). The trouble with these tightwad options is that the cabinets are already finished, and finishing raw wood to match the factory finish is tough. To get around this, I’ve painted the furniture or stained the new wood surrounding the cabinets a contrasting color for a two-tone look.

When neither paint nor a two-tone look is suitable, I buy unfinished stock cabinets like the ones shown in this article. Home centers usually carry one style only and one wood species only (typically oak). For the projects shown here, I used 12-in.-deep “upper” cabinets. The cabinets you find may not be exactly like mine, so you may have to alter the measurements given in my plans.