PDA

View Full Version : Negotiate with Contractor

fwong93
6th January 2011, 11:46 AM
Hi, any good tips to bargain the price with your ID/contractor? Thanks!

cookies
6th January 2011, 05:22 PM
be firm, give them the take it of leave it face ;)

eileenlim
20th January 2011, 10:49 AM
Could try bargaining like buying fish in the market. :D

Unless you understand the prices of the materials yourself before embarking into asking contractor for a quote. Of course would need to give some profit to contractor and the amount of work done in comparison. That way you can attain maximum benefits using the minimum cost.

Nova Lighting Store
27th January 2011, 03:08 AM
Make sure that you've shopped around to compare prices first.

Bill
30th January 2011, 08:15 AM
Quality work is more important than saving a few bucks. Be frugal but look at previous work.

fwong93
7th February 2011, 10:52 AM
Ya I agree quality is more important. So get referrals from homes you like, example your friends or family's

jerlarson
19th August 2011, 03:02 PM
Yes, referrals are probably the most useful tool to getting quality work at a fair price. When I needed roof work done on my home in California, and was looking for Los Angeles roofing contractors, I sought out neighbors, looked at listings online, and asked around at hardware stores.

susandixon
6th October 2011, 05:36 AM
As much as possible ask for a discount but you should also make sure that they can offer you quality work

rosita28
14th March 2012, 12:33 PM
Write a detailed list of the projects the contractor will handle. Verify that the contractor has all of those elements included in the pricing and timeline of the project. Determine if you want to tackle any part of the renovation yourself and discuss this with the contractor to ensure he agrees.