Thread: cracks on the tiled walls and black seepage marks on the ceiling

Default cracks on the tiled walls and black seepage marks on the ceiling

my sister is thinking of buying a resale 3 rm flat. what is holding her back is the bathroom. it has cracks on the tiled walls and black seepage marks on the ceiling. Anyone has any idea if it is difficult to patch this up? Is it expensive?

The agent said that hdb officer will come and review the flat and get the owner to negotiate with the neighbour upstairs to patch up the ceiling.

But how can I ensure that they have done a good job and that the problem does not resurface?

It is really up to your upstairs neighbour to do a good and complete job. Frankly speaking, if the patch is too serious, I do not suggest that your sister take up that unit. The reason is simple, why would the upstairs neighbour spend money to do something to their floor if the problem does not affect them at all but only the neighbour downstairs? This problem is not within your control.

When my Dad were looking for 3-room flat few years ago when we were moving house, my Dad always looked at the bathroom and toilet's ceilings very carefully , if he saw water patches or paint discolouring (which could be due to water seepage), he would walk out and not consider that unit irregardless of the selling price