Thread: Staying near MRT

Default Staying near MRT

I'm thinking of getting a HDB flat (10th floor) which is just across the MRT station.

Though the convenience, but i'm worried of the noise coming for the train.

Anyone with similar experience can advise?

Thanks very much in advance for any views on this.

cheers

jane

Hi Jane,

For all my life i stay near MRT but low floor, never feel anything cos maybe numb already. I heard someone says space is a good conductor of sound, the higher u stay the louder it get. Maybe you can really feel it if it's a 10 floor unit.

Just my 2 cents worth of view.........

Hear the Lion roar after a long while.

hey lion thanks for your 2 cents worth.

Yes, my fiancee also say higher floor sound travel louder. hmmm... now i'm thinking hard - for convenience or for quieter environment.

jane

I think there is this conception that sound travels louder the higher it is because at lower floors the sound waves are blocked by obstacles and ambient sounds, whereas there are usually less obstacles and other noises at higher levels. My suspicion is that a 2nd floor unit will still hear the MRT louder than a 10th floor unit...

hi mcMuffin,

i like your name, now got a sudden craving for mcmuffin while i eating a boring lian rong bao.

thanks for your input too. the next trip i go to the block, i will stand at 2nd floor and listen hard as i intend to go for 2nd viewing this weekend.

jane

My fiance stays on the 27th floor near MRT line and I can still hear it... Its not that loud... After some time you won't hear it...

Another thing, MRT does not run 24h... So you can still get your good night's sleep. At night the maintenance train moves damn slow so they don't create any sound...

hi sol,

thanks for sharing. we have decided not to take up the unit as i'm quite sensitive to sound and am a light sleeper think better don't take the risk. will continue with our hunt.

thanks everyone.

jane