Thread: wooden or plastic chopping board..which one is better ? which one is safer to use ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy wooden or plastic chopping board..which one is better ? which one is safer to use ?

hi ALL,

wooden or plastic chopping board..which one is better ? which one is safer to use ?

my mum been using this woodlen chopping board for ages. that board is probably with us for more than 10 yrs as we have shifted our house about 10 yrs ago and we brought that board over from our former home.

my mum is a very sentimental person and she will use a thing for yrs till it totally breaks down.

that wooden chopping board is so old and dirty. black around the edges and the side where my mum always uses to chop food, has many deep chopping marks . i always wonder if our food contains wood chips.

i hope to persuade my mum to switch to using lighter plastic board but is such board safe to use ? i think eating wood is safer then eating plastic .

and wooden chopping board provides better support of chopping big stuff like a whole chicken. i somehow think chopping a whole chicken on a thin slab of plastic chopping board would cause the board to slip away and we might end up chopping our hand instead of the chicken

wood or plastic all not good to have them for TEN years!!! Aiyo darling... you not eating wood... you are eating billions of bacteria la!

Pls go for those that says antibacterial chopping board. Throw away any board that is chipped or with lots of markings and slashes... becoz that's where the bacteria can hide themselves as it's tough to wash clean.

Hi don enemy,

Wooden board has natural enzyme to fight bacteria, while plastic ones also can be coated with antibacterial chemical for that purpose. but I do agree with huey that you shouldn't use 1 board for 10yrs. as the enzyme and chemical are bound to fade off.

I recommend high-impact plastic ones becoz they are easy to maintain (wooden ones require you to oil it with mineral oils once in awhile for the shine and anti-bacterial purpose) as you can just throw it into the dishwasher, no pores meaning no place for bacterial to hide, cheap as compare to high grade wooden ones.

for wooden one: it's only worth buying when it's made of high grade wood like maple or beech. then the benefits will show. good grade ones will be kind to your knife blade and they aged beautifully. but disadvantages is the cost and the maintenance... you need to oil them as i mentioned earlier...also you can wash it with dishwasher but only with hot water and diluted detergent in order not to wash away the natural oil in the wood.

Plastic is reasonably priced and lightweight. Because plastic is relatively inexpensive, it is feasible to buy two, three or even four cutting boards to be used for completely separate food preparation: one board for chicken, one for meats and fish, one for fruits and vegetables.

Since they are light and easy to move, it is not necessary to keep them out on the counter all the time, as you sometimes have to do with a large wooden cutting board. For these reasons, using plastic cutting boards makes it more economical and convenient to prevent cross-contamination.

Wooden boards have been used by people for hundreds and hundreds of years. High quality wooden boards can be heirlooms passed down from generation to generation.

While you should certainly throw away an old plastic cutting board that has knife cuts all over it, you can plane down a thick wooden cutting board and be good to go for years to come. Wood is considered a “warm” material, and having a wooden cutting board on display in your kitchen can enhance the feeling of warmth and welcome and give even a modern kitchen a hint of rustic charm.

wooden boards are good and used by several people from no.of years. they are good for many years.