Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! My fridge stinks!!!

Default Help! My fridge stinks!!!

Hey any expert can help me on this? My fridge is 5yrs old and every time I open it... I just want to faint! The odour is bad... no matter how tight I wrap my food stuff... the smell still lingers. I usually clean it 3 months once... is it enough?

Alamak duck, just put your stuff in tupperware la

hi duck,

i have heard of using vinegar, leaving a glass of it inside the fridge. never tried before so not sure if it works or not.

some taxi drivers put pandan leaves at back of car ( near backseats ) to rid bad odour. perhaps you can try that too.

Erm... duffy... I think you need to do a bit more than just trying to keep it under wrap or in tupperware.

Here are something you can try:

1.) Remove all items from fridge. Discard any overdue food that may be mutating.

2.)Clean all the shelves and drawers with soap and water. Don't forget to wipe as much of the walls and floor of the fridge as you can, even under the crisper drawers.

3.)Use Baking Soda. Slice off the top of the baking soda box or pour baking soda in plastic container. Put it in your fridge, uncovered. Smell your fridge about 3 days later. Remove the baking soda and throw it away if it has cleared the smell.

For extreme measure: If the smell persists, dump 1 to 2 cups of freshly ground coffee on a large plate and spread them around. Use multiple plates if the smells are extreme. Close the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours. BTW your fridge will be smelling like coffee for days but it's better than the old odour right?
    Last edited by ling; 4th July 2008 at 02:34 PM.

wow ling,

i'm really impressed with your tips. my mom likes to stock alot of food inside the fridge and keep it there for don't know how long but we still do not have odour problem, and we clean our fridge only like once year hahahhaah..... but still no odour. but your tips really good, next time i clean i will try your method. thanks.

Hi evel, tks for complimenting. I wont call myself an expert... just someone who's quite particular in cleanliness (even my mom can't stand me).

It really depend on the type of food and the container you used when placing them in the fridge. Normally perishable food like cheese, leftovers and fresh food would produce smell after a period of time... but dried food (except salted fish or those fishy smell dried goods. Dried mushroom and chillies are fine) and bottled stuff wont be as much. Also tight lidded tupperware and ziplock bags help too. but polywrap is not a good smell stopper i realised. Lastly, always remember to wipe away any spills... i notice that some pple just don't bother with that.
    Last edited by ling; 7th July 2008 at 10:59 AM.

Wooo.....Thanks ling! Will definitely try your method. =)

hi just to share, me buy those air freshener for fridge from Daiso. It works for me.

HI Precious

huh? i have never heard of air freshener for fridge? is it safe or not?? how to use it? spray it like any normal air freshener? must take out all food before spraying?

cheap method;

1) tea leaves - open a packet of tea leaves, place it in a cup . smell will go away.

2) cut a piece of lemon into halves and leave it in the fridge.