Thread: Eye Saline Solution Expiration Date

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Eye Saline Solution Expiration Date

Anyone knows whether an un-opened bottle of eye saline solution can expire? The brand is Bausch and Lomb ReNu MultiPlus. I am just doing some spring-cleaning and realised that I haven't worn my contact lenses for years!

Yes, un-opened bottle of eye saline solution will expire.

There is expiry date stated on the box. Shelve life normally 3 years. It is dangerous to use expired saline it will irritate your eyes and you may end up with an infection.

Yes, it's dangerous to use expired saline solution, please do not risk!

Please also note that to use saline solution only for rinsing as it's not a cleaning and disinfecting solution.

An unopened and sealed bottle of pure saline is quite safe to use actually but opened bottles are not. The saline solution can become hypertonic (the salt concentration will become too high due to water evaporation). Water do not evaporate much over the years when the bottle is sealed.

Specific to Bausch and Lomb solution, it is not a pure saline solution. There are other chemicals in it that will expire so die die have to abide by the expiry date!

Eye infections are nothing to mess around. The last thing you want to do is to introduce bacteria into your eye. That's just not smart.