Thread: is a degree really important?

Default is a degree really important?

I am a bookworm, naturally i loves book.

I have been wondering if a degree is really important.

My friend in her 40S' been checking around frantically for a course that will allow her to get a degree, it seems to me getting a degree is very important.

I really do not think so.

question to ponder?

for me it use to be a dream, however, since i am already in my mid 30s and having a good career infront of me, i have given up this dream.

to pay some $40k to get a degree, boy unless can guarantee earning back i will not go for it.

well, bookworm, i agree and disagree.

cos i feel there are many cases of successful entrepreneurs in both singapore and abroad, who have made it without the paper qualifications. either thru hard work, luck or maybe just with a good head for business ( there are ppl who has degrees but just don't possess the brain to run a business ).

like Sim Wong Hoo, CEO of Creative Technology. he does not have a degree - he only holds a diploma in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from the Ngee Ann Polytechnic and yet see where he is now.

for me, i hold a private dip in Marketing. i must say the private dip which i obtained from a well - known but not branded private education institute - is both a pro and con for me.

at job fairs, if i want to apply for govt jobs, my private dip definitely would not be accepted as govt bodies always indicate criteria as possessing polytechnic dip.

but having a dip - even though it is private, has allowed me to be accepted for some other jobs, which minimum must have a dip.

nowadays , degree holders aplenty. yrs ago, having a degree is a big deal but not now anymore.

the standard of singapore education is rising.

recently , i checked out the open house of wellington pri sch. my girl is K2 now and i attending open house to see which sch is good.

i am so impressed with their curriculum which has a good emphasis on IT eduction. it is compulsory for them to learn IT from pri 1 to pri 6.

the IT lessons are in the afternoons, after the usual lessons.

pri 1 already learning basic computer skills and typing ( fingering skills ).

pri 4 learning how to program a lego car to travel according to the route drawn by black marker pen on a piece of white marjong paper

pri 6 learn how to edit video using computer.

i only learn typing ( fingering skills ) when i was in secondary for my commerce subject.

so you see, how much our education system has changed now.

so even if i think one might still be able to make it without a degree, i feel no harm getting one just as back up.

my private dip also worthless.

yrs ago , i went for interview at a non-profit children org , applied for the post of admin asst. pay so so only. the location of the org kind of remote. not easy get there but i don't mind as i have a passion for welfare work. i wanted very much to be in a job that i love and can do it with passion every working day.

when the interviewer scrolled down my CV and saw that i obtained my private dip in 6 mths, she actually had the nerve to raise her eyebrows. think she did ask me why i was able to get a dip in such a short period of time.

anyway her raising her eyebrows - that is such an insult to me. you can query me why i got the dip in such short period of time, but dun show your doubts so obviously, did not give me face.

anyway- i got the dip in 6 mths cos there are 4 modules in the course and i was doing 2 modules concurrently. 2 modules took 3 mths. hence i was able to finish the course in 6 mths time.

nowadays, private education institutes offers many such compressed dip courses, so not something new.

but i really feel that piece of dip is worthless. since cannot gain the recognition i thought it would get. yes i did not spent 3 yrs in a polytechnic. yes i did not attend job attachment.

but that does not means i am not qualified to do the job.

A degree may be useful for certain jobs but quite uselss for others. So bottomline is, it really depends on your career path.

I think even if a degree benefits your career, where you get your degree is also very important lor, right coke addict and don enemy?
    Last edited by Curry Chicken; 23rd July 2008 at 06:56 PM.

In my opinion, a Degree is a must have.

Degree is not instumental to success, rather it gives you opportunity when you first started in job seeking. Thereafter, whether you succeed in life depends on yourself.

So it is not as important as one may think.

humm insightful!

I also think family background plays a part in a person success.

hi bookworm, ya i guess you are right. many of those who are successful now , are those who had a very difficult and poor childhood , which caused a strong desire to better their lives and hence give them the motivation to work hard to achieve their goals and attain a better and comfortable lives for their families.

i actually mean when you have a rich background is easier to do anything you want in life.

but your reply is sightful from another angle.