Thread: handling problematic subordinate

Default handling problematic subordinate

this executive of mine is really a headache. not independent and always pushing responsibilities around and he always has his excuses. there was once he did not turn up for work and did not call. fellow colleagues kept calling him but no answer then 2 plus called me and told me he overslept. OMG, how irresponsible that is. only wake up at 2 plus. i gave him a verbal warning on that and ask HR to make a record. he did not make any major mistakes so i have no grounds to ask him to leave. how?????

lion have big head....

If you cannot think of any grounds, there's always the financial crisis. Seriously, I cannot stand such nonsense people.

i think i will give him a chance. he has been quite well behave recently. now economy so bad difficult to find a job.

lion is kind hearted...

do you need a valid reason to terminate someone???

i would say if this staff does something like that again or irresponsible intentionally in some other way, then i would fire him regardless of economy good or bad.

esp now economy bad, hard to find jobs, workers should all the more cherish their job and perform to their best abilities so that they will not be chosen to be put on retrenchment list.

if he still carry on like that, obviously cannot care less, then why should you worry if you fire him and he cannot find a job.

wah it seems like you all quite heartless hor....

he still with me now and has become my right hand man has buck up alot on his work and attitude.

now the next problem is he is hook with a fellow colleague. though over at my office we have not rules that fellow colleagues cannot date but my boss came to speak to me a few weeks ago saying that recently the girl from another department is not doing her work well and asked me to talk to them about their relationship.

my thoughts were:
    1. the girl is not from my dept so it's not approperiate for me to talk to her about her work problem and relationship
    2. my staff is doing fine with his work, he is not letting the relationship affecting him in any ways so what grounds do i have to talk to him about this
    3. we all suspect that they are together and it's kind of obvious but when asked both of them deny so how to talk when they insisted they are not together

what's your views on office romance?

it's valentine's day and lion want to get into the mood of romance....

well... I think it's better to talk to him in an informal manner 1st. since he's not the one having problem but the gal. drop some hints and put it not so direct... but obvious enough for him to catch. he should convey it to the gal after that.

the fact is that since day one we have be teasing both of them and now they really become couples. i find it rather awkward to discuss this issue with him cos in the first place they give denying it.

now management told me that if any of them make any mistakes they want to spilt their sitting arrangement (currently both of them sitted next to each other)

there are quite a lot of couples in my office, but they are not working in the same level as both of them.

generally i'm ok with office romance as long as lines are draw clear. however my concern is in good times of cos everything sweet lar, but in bad times how??? moreover both of them sitting beside each other.

lion headache over office romance...