Thread: mosquitos

Red face mosquitos

if they breed, you bleed....

this was the message you see for the anti-mosquitos campaign by NEA. not too long ago, an NEA officer came knocking my door asking to check my home for possible breeding of mosquitos. fortunately they found nothing. not so lucky for my uncle though, he was fine $100 for a indoor plant that was infested with lavea.

i had 3 family members that was infected by the dengue virus (including myself). i was fortunate that my case was not serious and do not need to be hospitalised.

i'm quite prone to mosquitos bites (which i'm not sure why). i can be the only person that got bitten among the group. i wonder those mosquitos coil, insect repellent works? i also came across a soundwave devices that rids mosquitos. anyone has any tired methods to rid these blooding sucking pests?

you can try baygon repellant (those you plug into the electrical socket types). it works for me.

in fact i realised that the most effective way is to turn on the aircon for as i think mosquitos are inactive when it's cold

Yeah, I think mosquitoes hibernate in cold weather. I don't see a single insect in Europe when it's cold but they will suddenly appear in summer

actually where they disappear to huh? winter is very long leh. they do not need to feed on human blood?

my granny's place seems to be infested with all kinds of wierd looking bugs in the balcony area. she don't keep any plants or eat there. there are only some chairs and a table there, the place has been kept clean and dry but there's always bugs that flew from elsewhere and landed here.

what can be done?

eileen

another piece of advise is to avoid wearing dark clothing ....
    somehow mosquito like dark areas.....

yes, baygon is good, the spray works great it apparently last for up to 3 months a spray - so once a month good to spray the whole apartment with it .what my mum usually does is when we plan to be out the whole day, she will spray the whole house close all the windows and doors and kept closed till we are back. Of course, once we are all home - she will open all the window and let it air for a while. That helps wonders - no mosquitoes and bug in the house.

Even, croaches die instant when they came to the house.

Insect repellant - that will help you too, they have the cream type and the spray type - i carry one with me most of the time - when i visit friends staying in landed home, i will make sure spray first - else surely get beaten.

hey babyrie, thanks for the advise. but i can't really stand the smell of insecticide. moreover i have a dog at home. i tried using those electrically type which is suppose to be odourless but no use leh. hmmmm.....

lately my family been getting bitten by mosquitoes and we suspect the mosquitoes come from my neighbour. as she has many pots of plants lining her side of the corridor and she is quite busy with her work. my mum said she does not see our neighbour changes the water very often.

i am debating what to do? should i go confront her ( in a nice friendly manner of course ) to ask her to check ? i fear she would be offended.

or should i go report my suspicion to NEA? but i have no evidence and purely speculation. would NEA fine me if they went to her house , did the inspection and found nothing? would they tell my neighbour that i was the one who blew the whistle?

i always believe we should try to maintain good relations with our neighbours.

any suggestions anyone?