Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying a car

Default buying a car

Have been thinking of buying a car ..... any great idea anyone, with budget of $45k, should I buy a new car or a second hand car?

How about financing, should i go for financing - is it a good idea to take some or forget about it and pay cash for the car and save your self from having the car loan????

well happylalapo,

i'm a driver myself. i did not ask myself questions when i bought my first car and i was slap with difficulties of financing it.

1. why do you need a car, is it for convenience or necessity?
    2. when i bought my 3rd car, i was really questioning myself, do i really need a car? the reason so is because the public transport system in singapore is rather advance though i can't deny it's expensive. moreover, being a woman, i find that often we have the priviledge of being chauffeur around by male friends.
    3. since you have cash to pay in full, why not, it really save you the hassel of worrying the financing. however, based on my understanding, if you are not taking loan, you will lose out certain negotiation power with the car agent, but to me that is not really important.
    4. frankly speaking, though i think my driving skills are rather ok (been driving for 8 year now) but somehow, i still can't help but worry the car break down on the road. this has happen to me many times but it can be rather scary (depending on the problem of your car). are you someone who will freak out in things like this?

above are just some of my personal thoughts.

i will rather not buy a car, unless you are in a sales job that requires to travel around.

Why not consider renting a car?

Hey, thanks Hazel.

My friend ask me to get a Kia, it is cheap car.

I am pretty terrible I want cheap, good and big.... ha! Ha!

Still searching..... my dream car is a merc .... but how to afford one ? so have to stop having such big dreams liao.

Do consider practicality of the car?

How often do you use the car? Will it be a white elephant?

Petrol consumption? If you travel alot, a hybric car is recommended.

Aiya want cheap good and big then confirm second hand liao. 45K can get you a nice "vintage" merc what.

getting a vintage car will give you problem like share parts and maintenance. i believed the insurance are more expensive too. i'm driving a kia picanto. practical and not too expensive but if you always need to ferry alot of people then it's not practical cos it will strain the car.

cars are better to buy 1st hand. doesnt matter if its a cheap car... just as long as its maintained well and doesnt consume petrol at a high rate. a toyota does well but 45k too small a budget.

if u can, get a motor bike. its economical but not without disadvantages. there are issues about the rain and road safety

in terms of reliability, the Japanese brands are still the ones that got the highest scores, proof that the imports are alway more reliable. Out of the 47 cars that were predicted, 39 are from japanese makers. The most are from Honda and Toyota.

Ford Fusion cars scored pretty good in Consumer Reports' annual new car reliability survey, The best in the industry's quality standard-bearers, the Honda Accord V6 and Toyota Camry V6 got highest scores.

I do not agree with nickcboy on buying first hand.

buying a second hand car is definitely good value, as car depreciation are highest during the first few years.